removing LR

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by zzzzzzzzpr, Jul 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zzzzzzzzpr

zzzzzzzzpr Purple Spiny Lobster

i have a 55g tank with about 125lbs of LR. i thinking of removing 25-50lbs so i can make my tank look alittle nicer. my question is should i take alittle out at a time or all out at once?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

What is your bio-load like and do you have a skimmer? How old is the tank?

My only concern is all the detritus under 50lbs of rock, plus you are going to be re-scaping to a certain extent.

4. zzzzzzzzpr

zzzzzzzzpr Purple Spiny Lobster

tank is over a year 1/2 old, have a skimmer, all kinds of corals, 2 clowns, blue tang, and a cleaner wrasse.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I guess put some time aside and remove 25 and see how you like it, and go from there. If you have a deep sand bed try not to disturb it.

Everyone time I have removed rock I spent many hours rearranging things. You end up moving corals all over the place. Things fall, you second guess arrangements......

Good luck I am sure it will be fine, and I get tried just thinking about your doing it lol, so much re-arranging if you have a lot of corals. Might want to have plenty of epoxy or Super glue gel on hand.