removing gsp

Discussion in 'Coral' started by dirtydavenkc, Jul 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dirtydavenkc

dirtydavenkc Purple Spiny Lobster

about 3 months ago my lfs gave me two stips of gsp (about 10 polyps in both). not knowing any better i put one strip on one of my favorite rocks thats huge and has caves. it has scince spread to around a 4 to 5 inches round area. I want to remove it all and relocate it to a rock tower that i have already have partially covered due to the other strip. i know how to attach it but dont know how to remove it cause the least amount of damage. thanks in advance. first pic is 2months ago and 2cd is today with cell phone

Attached Files:

• gsp.jpg
      gsp.jpg
      File size:
      419.9 KB
      Views:
    • gsp4.jpg
      gsp4.jpg
      File size:
      68.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Click Here!

3. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

You could try using a scalpel or exacto knife to dig under the GSP mat, try and take bits of rock with it, don't cut into the mat itself if you can help it although GSP are so hardy if you cut it it probably wont matter all that much. Just don't leave even a bit of the mat behind or you might find yourself repeating the process on that rock in another month.

You'll need to pull the rock from the tank to do this I would guess. Might depend what type of rock you have too, some is more porous and easier to gouge out with a sharp knife.

Otherwise band saw or diamond wheel on a dremel!

4. slowleak

slowleak Feather Duster

mine peeled right off the rock, and i just used a razor blade to trim the pieces how i wanted them

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I use a razor to scrap up an edge and then peel the rest off.

This stuff is almost invincible. And you already have a colony... so I wouldn't worry at all about messing it up. You might end up w/several pieces of different sizes... just throw out the scrap pieces and relocate the bigger pieces if you want.

What you leave behind will grow back as mentioned... so keep that in mind.

6. dirtydavenkc

is it mandatory to remove the rock cause i would have to remove the canopy and unstack the rock cause the rock its attached to is on the bottom go figure.in this picture is it at the bottom right side. the patch in the middle is the peice of rock im gonna put it on.

Attached Files:

7. slowleak

slowleak Feather Duster

i wouldnt. just watch it, and keep it cut back. its really simple stuff to remove, and if you do a good enough job you might end up killing the stuff like i think i did

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

it's just easier to do it w/the rock removed... but if it is too hard to remove the rock, then you're not making anything easier...

it's irrelevant really. BUT, if you do it in the water be careful not to accidentally cut or tear a small piece off that floats away in the current. It will almost certainly settle and start to spread secretly in a far less convenient place...

Be weary of that with any spreading coral (xenia, anthelia, GSP, etc.)

10. dirtydavenkc

sound like great advice thanks