*Released* ReefAngel 2.1 Client! - Going International

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by crank2211, Feb 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

Well, the day has finally come!

I just wrapped up the last new feature on my list of enhancements for beta 2.0. It took forever, but it was a big one and in my eyes, a game changer and well worth the effort. More on that below.

Firstly, this is a follow up thread to my original here: http://www.3reef.com/forums/general-reef-topics/beta-release-demo-reefangel-client-suite-93810.html

A lot of the basics of this "Client Suite" are covered in the first thread, so I'll just finish where I left off and get to the good stuff.

Wifi Support
    Beta 2.0 now fully supports the use of the ReefAngel Wifi Adapter. This means you can install the Client Suite on any computer that either has a wireless connection to your router or a hardwired connection and it will send/receive data to the controller. So no more long USB cord extensions stretching to the closest computer.

2-Way Communication
    I mentioned this earlier, but it's probably worth mentioning again. We can now send commands to the controller over USB AND WiFi to toggle outlets on/off individually and in groups, called "profiles". You can right-click the ON/OFF status of an individual outlet to mask it ON/OFF/Auto. When a relay is "masked" in the ON or OFF position, it will remain in that state until the mask is manually removed by the user. Care must be taken that you're masking the correct relay.

Here I setup a profile named "Feed Mode". You can see I configured it to mask off 4 relays (Center Pump, WM1, WM2 and Skimmer) while leaving the rest in "Auto" mode.
    [​IMG]

When this profile is applied - all 4 relays are immediately masked, the equipment is turned off and you're shown that the relays are in the Masked OFF state with a blue border around the text (indicating it has a mask applied to it).
    [​IMG]

A new button on the bottom right (White Triangle) when pressed shows a menu of all the profiles created so far. Hover over a profile name and you get a preview of that profile in the bottom status bar (8 small buttons). In this case "Even Relays Off" shows relays 2,4,6,8 will be masked off (Red Button) and 1,3,5,7 will remain in "Auto" - which is depicted with a white "A" button
    [​IMG]

New Parameter Display Styles
    Two new styles for display temperature and pH have been added. In addition to normal, there is also "Digital" and "Analog". Shown in that order here:
    [​IMG]

It's nice to be able to see that data near-real time, but once we've been collecting it for quite awhile, it would be good to know some statistics. Enter individual parameter aggregates. Here's the setup screen for temperature display styles and aggregates.
    [​IMG]

When "Display Aggregate Values Under Params" is checked, you will now be shown the Min/Max/Average values for each of the 3 temp probes and the pH probe. (Normal and Digital Display Only)
    [​IMG]

Those statistics depend on the the Date Range that is selected. In the above example I'm displaying statistics for "Live (24hrs)". If I choose "Past Week" the max/min/avg values will be updated to represent the past weeks' aggregate values.

You can always turn that display option off and hover over the current temp or pH value at any time and get a tooltip showing this same data:
    [​IMG]

ATO Switch Status
    The current state of each ATO switch is now displayed. The ReefAngel comes with two switches and each one is handled independently by the app. I am also now storing ATO switch events, so you can see how you're ATO has been performing. Green means "Active" or in the down position. Red is inactive or the switch is in the up position.
    [​IMG]

Click the red/green button and a flyout shoots out showing you the status of that switch over the past 24 hours.
    [​IMG]

Above you can see my ATO Hi switch was in the inactive state until around 4:30PM when it dipped down to Active and then popped back up to inactive. You can hover over the line to see exact times of these events and zoom/scroll just like the main chart.

Remote Clients over LAN
    This was great feature request that worked out really well. It basically allows you to install 1 copy of the entire "Client Suite" on a computer which talks to the controller (Over wifi or USB). It then allows you to install just a standalone version of the "Client" on any other computer that's connected to your home network. All these satellite computers with standalone versions installed will connect to the service running on your main computer. Each one will be updated at the exact same time and can control the RA. In other words, view and control your ReefAngel from any networked computer in the house.

Here's a picture of that in practice. My desktop is connected to the controller over wifi. It has all the services running and is solely responsible for communicating to the controller. The two monitors in the back are both connected to the desktop. Two copies of the Client are running on the desktop, one shown on each monitor. The 3 laptops in front also have a copy of the standalone client communicating to my desktop to send/receive data. You could view parameters and turn off the skimmer from your laptop in bed, and each client running will know about it and update accordingly!
    [​IMG]

Cold Temperature Alerts
    You can now define cold thresholds for all 3 temp probes. If the temperature ever drops below your defined value, choose to receive an SMS/Email notification about it. Useful in these winter temps!

Send Parameters for Online Viewing
    This works WITH OR WITHOUT the wifi adapter. As long as the computer that is running the Suite has an internet connection, you can choose to update your custom profile on reefangel.com for online viewing. This comes in handy if you want to see how your tank is doing while away from home. Theres a bunch different ways to view the data, my signature shows one.

Some random shots of the client in action :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I am impressed. Very cool, the ReefAngel controller looks promising and your software is really looking good. When I get my next tank I would seriously consider the Reef Angel.

Do you have any plans on creating widgets / apps for Android / iOS devices?

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Great work, can't wait for my unit to arrive. Should be shipping soon.

5. crank2211

Thanks, Zach. It's a work in progress still, but coming along pretty nicely. I know for sure my application wouldn't be possible if not for the hard work done by some of the other users in the community.

As a matter of fact, I do. I had a go at a desktop widget awhile ago. Didn't get very far with it but I would like to finish it up.

I should also have an iMac coming my way pretty soon also. The only reason I want one is to port my existing application over to it to support OSX. The biggest thing I want to do is put together something for my iPhone. So iOS and OSX definitely. I know Dingo has already put some work into an iPhone app, I hope to pick up where he left off.

6. crank2211

Thank You, John.

I hope to support the relay extension box you will be receiving very shortly. If I'm not mistaken, the latest libraries for the controller already expose all the information I need so it should just be a matter of figuring out how to implement it on my end.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Sweet, that will be great. I look forward to setting up an ATO and 2 dosers for Ca and alkalinity. Haven't decided on using the wavemaker yet. I really like the idea of having modes to shut down equipment instead of unplugging it.

8. Click Here!

9. crank2211

The wavemaker feature is okay. I wasn't thrilled about the way it works originally. For instance 30 seconds on then 30 seconds off - rinse and repeat all day. I wanted to be able to mix it up more. I wrote some code when I first bought the controller that let you set the on interval to say 45 seconds on. After that it would pick a random number between 5 and 10 for the off delay. I somehow lost it though, but it was pretty easy to get working.

I've been trying to convince one of the developers for the libraries to introduce something like that for awhile now, just can't get it high enough on the priority list. If you're interested, I could try to whip something up again later. I've been living with the standard wavemaker functions and they do the job, but some true randomness would be nice ;)

Also, switching equipment ON/OFF from my computer chair for the first time was probably the most rewarding part of writing this application so far. Now being able to do it from anywhere in the house is really great. I think you'll enjoy it. :cheesy:

10. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Looks even better buddy!! I love the PC family pic especially. Reminds me of the movie Swordfish.. LOL

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Sounds awesome, I'll have to try WM then I'll let you know on the random on/ off.

12. crank2211

Yeah, I think my face might end up suffering some screen-burn by time I'm finished testing 8)

I usually only test with my desktop and a laptop. Once I got the remote client stuff working correctly, I rounded up all the other laptops in my house and quickly installed to see what it looked like. I only basked in that sweet glow of awesomeness until my retinas started to hurt, then I snapped a pic and shut it all down lol.