Urgent Regal Tang in trouble

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Siddique, Nov 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I got a regal tang with a slight case of ich yesterday.
    I got it at no charge and wanted to see if I could cure it.
    In my QT, I treated it with melafix and pimafix. It looked okay when I got home this evening but I continued the treatment. The course is 5-7 days I believe. 2 hours after the second treatment, it's laying on it's side and barely breathing. I took it out of the treated Qt and placed it in another QT. Why would this have happened? Could I have overdosed it? I'm using professional strength meds and I'm treating in a 5 gal QT. Is there anything I can do at this point?

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Make sure to get some really good aeration on that tank. Most meds make it harder to get O2 into the water.

4. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Just checked on it and it's out cold:-/
    I don't understand why that could have happened. The QT is very well oxygenated with a skilter power filter and an air stone.
    I'm gonna purchase a healthy one on Sunday anyway;)

5. mikejrice

Sorry to hear that. With tangs and ich there are some fights we are just destined to lose.

6. mikejrice

If you ever take on such a mission again pick up a neon goby while your at it. I keep one in my tank just for cleaning stress ich off newcomers.

7. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Sorry---As stated, sometimes you will lose. I commend you for trying to help the little guy though!

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

IME, Melafix and Pimafix do little to nothing against bad cases of ich. In fact, none of those all natural reef safe meds do. I like to soak the food in them if they get an outside bacterial infection, say after an injury, but not much else.
    Next time, go for copper. Copper is what got my regal through a bad case.

10. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

How big was the tang? It might be a combination of stressing out in a tiny QT (better than no QT tho) and a lack of dissolved oxygen.

~Will.

11. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

That's sounds like a plan, Although I didn't know that neon gobys would do the job. But it's a fish I'd definitely invest in. thanks;)

Thanks, I have a knack for curing sick fish. My gf is a doctor so I guess that's where I get it from. I've successfully treated a Queen angel w/ cloudy/popeye and still in rehab, an oscalaris clown w/ pop eye. his eyes has returned to normal but he still can't see. I took on the job with the regal just to try my hand at it. Currently, I have a sailfin tang with fin erosion. Eating well but no fins growing back for the past couple months.

Soaking the food is something I will consider the next time. The regal wasn't eating though. I wanted to use copper but wasn't sure at the time. I also wanted to do a fresh water dip but I thought that would have stressed him out even more. Thanks for the tip tho. I'll try soaking the food on my next mission.

He was about 2 inches. I doubt that it was the oxygen but I could be wrong.

12. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

I have a tiny regal tang in my tank, He came done with a serious case of ick, and Never seemed like I could ever find him to catch him for the QT tank... I just treated the water with Ick Attack and Melafix and did the water changes as suggested and He now finally comes out all the time and is better.

It does help that I have 3x Cleaner Shrimp and 3x Neon Gobies :p to help with the tangs in my tank.