Urgent Regal tang dying? Foxface jumped!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by elweshomayor, Mar 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

I'm looking at my regal tang right bow and he is in the substrate breathing somewhat hard... Is he on his last breaths?

Also my foxface jumped out of the tank as soon as the lights came on... I luckily got him back to the tank.. ( is he going to be ok?)

Such a horrible week..

2. Click Here!

3. Ultraner

Ultraner Purple Spiny Lobster

Regal Tangs are somewhat strange fish. There known to lie on there sides and do strange things. Is he responsive to movement or food? He may be breathing normal and you think hes breathing hard because your stressed. Also I've read many post on here about fish jumping and being put back in the tank some even a while after and the fish being fine. I guess only time will tell with the foxface.

4. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

Well he didn't eat during feeding time :(

Foxface did eat..

5. Ultraner

Ultraner Purple Spiny Lobster

If he has been laying on his side while others are eating and hasn't moved from that spot in a while I would prob be concerned. Have you check all of your params to make sure everything is in check? Also are these new fish or have they been in a while?

6. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

My foxface has been there 6 months and my regal about 1month.
    I'm thinking foxface jumped because he got spooked when I turned the lights on.

My regal idk... He was eating yesterday. Acting a little bit funny but he ate.

7. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

have you checked the water params to make sure everything is ok? Hippos will lay on their side to play dead when they're spooked, but if he's been on his side for a good while that's not a good sign at all.

Concerning your foxface getting spooked about the light, do you have them on a timer? If they are on a set light schedule I doubt one would jump from the lights maybe something else?

8. Click Here!

9. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

No I don't have a timer.. I actually turned it on myself because I got home early today.. ( probably shouldn't have but o well. ( he seems a lot better now I saw him swim around just now.

Regal probably won't make it. ( think I should try putting him on my 29? And see what happens? No right?

10. bama

bama Humpback Whale

no, dont stress it any more.. you never know, he could come around.. I hope he does anyways :)

11. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

k+ ya, i wouldn't stress him anymore... Future though, i'd quarantine new guys for a few weeks minimum before introducing to the main tank. No sense in removing him now in fear of other fish getting sick as it's already too late for that. Definitely check your params ASAP! If you need, take a sample straight to your LFS and have them test it or even give you a second opinion. Until we know if your levels are good we can't offer much advise on a solution...

12. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

I'll take some water to lfs now.