Refugiums (and getting calurpa out of the main tan

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Jeremy, May 5, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hey all,
    Im going to put a refugium in my sump, and at the moment, i have calurpa growing in the main tank. a question. How do u get the damn stuff out? ::) Its growing like a weed and is covering the LR, so im starting to get worried. what light does calurpa need to grow?

thanks in advance,

SM

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Re: Refugiums (and getting calurpa out of the main

The more light, the quicker the growth. How big you planning on making your refug? I use a 175mh on a 30g, friends are using 2x 55w pc on a 30g and another is using 4x 36" vho on a 36" 30g. You can get away with much less, but that lessons the amount of nutrient export you'll get. Our major (my friends, and I) goal with the refugium is nutrient exporting, all the other effects are fringe benifits.

4. Jeremy

Jeremy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

im putting the refuge in a compartment in my sump. The sump is a 20 gallon, so the fudge will be around one third of that. Would NO fluros be ok for that? and how do you get calurpa out of the main tank?

5. CheckMateKingll

CheckMateKingll Feather Duster

SM,,,
    As far as lighting for the Calurpa in your lower tank, click on this link that SteveM650 had shown me and is using, I have the 27 watt smaller version on my Eco-System, both have BRIGHT WHITE BULBS, you might want to go with the 27 watt, same price, replacement bulbs are around 10.00 and should last a year 24/7.
    Steve's and my Calurpa are growing like wildfire, plus the price is right, real cheap for your needs. Alot of people are going to this lighting for there Refugiums.
    [glow=red, 2, 300]Click the link,,,
    Click Outdoor Security Lighting,,,
    Click on Fluorescent Lights,,,
    You will see 3 pics of Flood Lights 65 watt Square and a 27watt Square,,,[/glow]HTH
    http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...ceffdfgidgmn.0&DRC=4&catOID=100011760