Refugium Upgrade

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by john1948, Jan 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. john1948

john1948 Feather Duster

I want to replace my current refugium with a new, larger one. I need more room. Any suggestions and or advise on the best way to transfer the sand, mineral mud, mangroves and chaeto? Any pitfalls I should be aware of? My current refugium/sump has been up and running for a little over a year.

2. Click Here!

3. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

What size are you upgrading from? It should be rather easy. Almost like setting up a new tank.

1 person likes this.
  4. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Sounds like a "remote" fuge would suit you well. This is a remote fuge I just put on my 120DT. So far so good - what is also good is the control you can get with isolating the different filtration components.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  5. john1948

john1948 Feather Duster

Thanks for your response ReefBruh. I agree with your assessment.The dimensions for my current refugium are; 24"X10"x18". The dimensions for the refugium I hope to get are; 28"X11"X16 1/4", just a little longer and deeper. I recently purchased a new, more efficient skimmer and when I added the new skimmer into my existing sump, I now only have room for the skimmer, skimmer pump and return pump. I need room for GFO and carbon reactors. I'd rather not use the HOB method. My main concern is that I not upset the ecosystem that exists in my current setup.

6. john1948

john1948 Feather Duster

Thanks M-Ocean Man. I don't think I have the room for the type of set-up you suggest. Good idea though. Thanks for your response.