Refugium questions!

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Michael Pollard, Jun 23, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Michael Pollard

Michael Pollard Astrea Snail

My plan is to have my DT drain directly into the refugium. Then have a bubble trap, then have a return pump and protein skimmer. Will this be okay?

Also, what type of lighting does my refugium need if I'm growing chaeto?

Zgetman likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. OPForest

OPForest Fire Worm

Usually you run less flow through the refugium than your total flow through the sump. Having the skimmer after bubble trap could result in micro bubbles in your DT. As for lighting, you won't need much. I'm still researching for mine.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  4. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

I have been planning my sump/refugium now for about 6 months. I came across this little article here on 3reef all-about-sumps-filters-and-fuges. It helped me determine exactly how I would like to set up my sump.

The way it explains it in this article is to have your tank drain to your skimmer section, and tee off to your refugium with a ball valve to control flow. The return section would be right after the skimmer section with the refugium on the opposite side of the return section. Both sections would feed the return section.

The reason for this is: You only want about 10x - 20x the refugium volume running through the refugium, other wise it would not be much or a refuge for the copepods, and amphipods living there. An example would be: You have 300gph coming through a 5g refugium you would sweep everything away in the turbulence.

There are many ways to set up your sump, and I give you a +1 for asking and researching it. Not one setup is the same, and everyone has their own idea of the perfect system. You need to find what you think is right for your situation. This just my .02. Happy reefing

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    Mr. Bill and Alfie uk like this.
  5. OPForest

OPForest Fire Worm

just tried to visit your link. doesn't work...

6. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

Having the skimmer after the fuge would also ensure that your feeder pods would never make it to the DT. :oops::eek:

This. ^^^ :cool:

8. Click Here!

9. happyzapp

happyzapp Plankton

Well I will throw in my 2 cents here.

I have a 50 gallon 36x36x18 draining into a 20 gallon 36x12x12. My first chamber is for accepting the water from the DT. I have an under then over for a bubble trap. The center section houses the protein skimmer and chaeto. I separate these with an acrylic divider with 3/4 inch holes half way up. Then there is an over/under again to the final chamber where the return pump and heater sit. I have some floss in the last over/under.

I do run a Bio pellet reactor along with the chaeto.

Flow is just over 3 times my total volume.

Parameters are in check and steady. Just waiting for pellet reactor to kick in good.

Chaeto grows well. Using 65W equivalent florescent flood over chaeto.

Hope this helps.

Corailline likes this.