Refugium Q&A

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by mike007, May 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mike007

mike007 Sea Dragon

I've seen a few threads like http://www.3reef.com/forums/reef-lighting/t5s-q-54866.html and http://www.3reef.com/forums/reef-lighting/metal-halide-q-82938.html in which anyone with questions can just ask any and all Q's they might have about the topic at hand. I find these threads very effective in helping many directly as well as indirectly(including myself). I'm starting one for refugiums because I want to as many people as possible by asking some of my own questions and helping anyone else's questions to my best abilities(basically, as far as my knowledge will allow, after which the Gods of reefing will probably interject with their plethora of knowledge and enlighten us all..lol)

So to begin, I will ask a few of my own questions

1. Refugium Substrate:
    SOO MANY OPTIONS! Which works best to keep nitrates and phosphates down? In my case, I have high nitrates and need to get them down and keep them down. I am particularly worried about the substrate because I would like a DSB (possibly bottom 3" of kitty litter and top 2" Live Sand(which brand? Grain Size?)

2. Refugium Livestock:
    Basically in my tank, I'm planning to have some LR for denitrifying and chaeto with possibly some other kinds of macro algae for phosphate and nirtate export. When I say Livestock, I mean Inverts and other beneficial critters like pods(which kind?) to the overall purpose of having a Refugium. About the "LR" , What kind of rock should be used for this purpose? Base rock or Live rock, Etc.

That's about all I can think of for now, Hope this thread will catch on like the others did and help anyone that has questions about a refugium.

Thanks to all in advance!:beer:

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

very good idea!
    to answer your second question: the rock does not really matter... the more holes it has the better. however, I have found that its MUCH easier to grow pods in a dense ball of chaeto than rocks alone ;)

1 person likes this.
  4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I used CarribSea Special Grade Reef sand. It's a little larger than sugar sand and provides a good area for nitrifying bacteria to colonize. My bed is 3-4" deep.

A few nass. vibex and ceriths will keep it stirred up. Bristtle worms are good at eating/cleaning up detrius.

Chaeto, Ulva, and mangroves are the best IMO for nutrient export.

Hope this helps a little.

1 person likes this.
  5. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

pods also like to breed in empty snail shells

2 people like this.
  6. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

Hope that helped :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Kevin, doesnt your engineer goby burrow and disturb your DSB?

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

Hope this helps :jester:

10. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

Bahh! too many of us typing at once!

1 person likes this.
  11. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

He just burrows under the LR...it hasnt effected my fuge any tho..if anything he helps stir the bed a little :)

1 person likes this.
  12. mike007

mike007 Sea Dragon

WOW!!! This Definetly took off! lol Thanks for all the responses everyone! :);D Very helpful

Karma all around! :beer:

Anyone else have any questions?