Refugium Moron

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Jason McKenzie, Dec 2, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I honestly know nothing of Refugium. I don't have room anywhere for one so I have never payed much attention to threads about them.
    I guess I understand there function but thats about it.
    If I ever sell my house I will plan on making one in my new place because I will ensure there is room for an entire "Fish-room"

Anyway, I was thinking, A Fug can serve more that just as a nitrate removal area. It can be used to populate your main tank with PODs (if no predators are in the Fug and no pumps to slice and dice your pods). It can act as a LR farm so that the main tank can be aquas caped not based on Rock lbs. It can house DSB so that Bare Bottom can be used in the display tank and maintenance on the Sand bed in easier.
    Most every use is to support life in the display tank, But What about a planted tank/Refugium. Somewhere that Cardinal fish or Pipe fish or even Sea horses can live in a more normal environment. Most of these fish live in mangrove shallows with low flow and rich vegetation.
    Instead of hiding the algae ladened, sand filled box, make it another beautiful display tank that serves a great purpose.

Any thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I think that is a great idea! There is one person on this forum somewhere, that designed the sump a little differently.

Rather that splitting the fuge into section from front to back, they sectioned it lengthwise, leaving the entire front panel for a fuge, with a wall behind it, and put all the junk in the back of the fuge! Wish I had thought of that myself!

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I've seen that done before. It can be pretty cool!
    Where would you put it in relation to the tank?

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

You could specialize the doors of the cabinet to showcase the fuge....

6. jnbahwkins

jnbahwkins Fire Worm

When i desgined my fuge/sump this is the thread that helped me design it.I took birdladys suggestion of specialized doors and used it in my design so that only the refuge would show and i liked the other guys all up front deign.

ThanX for the ideas people.

Btw - It is not done pieces are not glued into place yet,
    so they are just sitting in there nice and tight,still have to measure the distances and place them better

Attached Files:

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Cool! Can't wait to see it all finished and in the cabinet!! ;D Thanks for sharing all the pics!

and for my cool sig!!!