Refugium Help

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Bruce, Apr 22, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Hey everyone. Well i have always wanted to make a refugium where i can grow mangroves...and well my dad tore down his 15 gal half hex and i though i could make this one. One thing that im afraid of is that added piping that i will have to put into the main tank...prolly wont look very nice...also since i dont have an overflow will i need to use power heads to get water into and out of the refugium? will i need to use dividers? would it be easier to just buy a build refugium...and well is it even possible because i dont have a overflow lol...

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

I do suppose i would need to seperate the tank some how....hmm

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

maybe a hang on refugium?

5. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

If you have the time and "some" money for a project...why not make the overflow that Covey posted. And I suppose you do need some baffles to trap microbubbles before it return to you MT. Since your purpose is only a refugium, I don't think you really need a strong pump either...IMO, 1x - 2x GPH of your tank's size should be ok.

What do you think?

6. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Does coveys overflow require drilling the tank?

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Hmm...ok im thinking before i do a refugium i want to get some surface skimming...ok heres my plan. I will get some kind of acrylic box, drill slots at the top and secure it around my skimmer power head. This way it will sorta be like a mini over flow...maybe? idk...

8. Click Here!

9. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

Check it out, it's nice. I am planning to make it for my 20L frag tank. No drilling required.

10. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

What size tank are you planning to use it, your main or nano tank? A hang on refugium would suffice. The half hex would be a little difficult to turn into a refuge because of it's shape.

11. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

i was thinking about one for my main...but i might wait. I tried making a prototype over flow out of half a "simply orange" container...it worked but the slots will have to be perfect for it not to get too high or too low...im stopping now because my tank is getting clowdy...probably from the skimmer....ugh

12. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

Look at this one Bruce, from USA aquarium I was looking at it before I decide to build my sump/fuge.

Mike