Refugium build

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Triggerfish, Dec 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Ritteri Anemone

I got a spare 20 gallon tank that I want to turn into a fuge. I already have a sump, so I am planning on using a pump to push water from the sump to the fuge. After that the water will over-flow(through a hole that is already drilled on the back of the tank)back to the sump. Does anyone have any suggestions on what pump I should use?

2. Click Here!

3. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

from marinedepot - maxijet powerheads

Aquarium Systems Micro-Jet Pumps
    Micro-Jet® aquarium pump combines exceptional pumping capacity with the smallest possible size. The pump is available in two models, each with adjustable flow rate—MC320 pumps 32, 48, or 73 gallons per hour and MC450 pumps 47, 79, or 117 gallons per hour. Micro-Jet® aquarium pump can be completely submerged or can operate in as little as 1/2" of water. It is the best choice to fit into small sump compartments of aquariums, terrariums, or reservoirs of fountains and other tabletop water devices. A quadruple suction cup support ensures stable and silent operation.

Manufacturer Warranty: 2 years from date of purchase.

Model V/Hz Wattage Max Flow Max Pumping Height Dimensions
    MC320 120V/60Hz 6W 32, 48 or 73gph 15" 1.75" L x 1.5" W x 2.25" H
    MC450 120V/60Hz 7W 47, 79 or 117gph 32" 1.75" L x 1.5" W x 2.25" H

Note: The dimensions do not include any attachment or suction cups.
    Item # Description Price
    AS1171 Micro-Jet 320 Powerhead $16.99

1 person likes this.
  4. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Ritteri Anemone

Thanks, how many gph do you think should be pumped to get the most out of the fuge. I was thinking a maxijet 900 or 1200.

5. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

I have heard 30 to 40 GPH on some of the bigger build threads that include fuges.

I run a maxijet 1200 on mine out of habit since the first fuge I ever setup was based on the ecosystem aquarium method that recommended about 300 GPH to keep the caulerpa happy along with the 24 hr lighting that was supposed to keep it from going asexual.

These days I have a mix of caulerpa and chateo under a 12 hour opposite schedule, it seems to do fine with the flow from the 1200

6. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

you want slow movement through the fuge but not stagnant
    although some people like to have cheato in fast movement "tumbling"
    but it all seems to work out the same i personally have slow flow through the fuge