refugium build

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by dpruitt7450, Jul 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dpruitt7450

dpruitt7450 Bubble Tip Anemone

ok right now i have a 55gallon (going to be coral reef) tank, i havnt added any coral cuz i have yet to buy a protein skimmer. i have a wet/dry filtrations system with a 900gph sump, i want to add like a little 10-30 gallon refugium, but i dont really understand how they work... whats the pros and cons on the refugium? and whats the best way of setting one up?
    THANKS!
    DAVID ;D

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

BUMP;) (this has been here since 7/11)
    Pro all the way. I really don't know of any cons, cause the pros outweigh the cons. It's always good when you can have more water surface in which to dilute toxins. I can't think of any other reasons right off the top of my head, but I'm sure others will chime in with their reasons.

4. dpruitt7450

yea... no1 was really helping out lol so i just started lookin on line about it and im pretty sure i got the idea on how they work but just dont know how im ganna set it up yet thanks cuttingras

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

How they work is, the water comes from the tank and goes into either the sump(where you put eq) or the refugium(filtration). Then after it's filtered it gets sent back to the tank via a pump. You need to have the flow through the fuge just right. I know when it's right from experience, maybe someone can answer this more specifically. There is a formula. In your sump, you'd have your protein skimmer and maybe a sock filter or some other kind of mechanical filter. In the fuge you would have sand or mud bottom, some sort of macro algae or mangroves or even more rocks. The choice is up to you and what you want to filter out of your tank. I hope this explains a little more.:)

6. dpruitt7450

Thanks man, that helped alot

7. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

First off, sorry we missed you. Sometimes, a thread can fall through the cracks. If it happens again, just bump it.

Second, gras is a chica.

Third, Refugiums are awesome. Great for nitrate export, more system water for stable parameters and helps to keep your PH steady (if on reverse light cycle).

They do work best at a very slow flow. It allows more time for your macro algae to absorb the nutrients.

A DSB or mud layer is also recommended. I personally use both.

A cheap light can be used. A clamp on shop light from Home Depot works great. I don't have the room for one, so I had to use a Current USA T-5 fixture. Much slimmer to fit in tight places.

8. Click Here!

9. dpruitt7450

but how do i hook it up? how do i pipe it all?

10. Takara

Takara Astrea Snail

Overflow down and pumped back up, or pump up and overflow down.

11. dpruitt7450

but the flow through fuge is suppose to be really slow and the flow in my tank is suppose to be pretty good.... hows that work out?

12. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale