Refugium algae questions

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by diablo, Jun 7, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. diablo

diablo Plankton

As I posted on my http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/one-year-update-w-pics-147335.html, I put together a 10g fuge for my 55g. My DT has very little algae and I've never really had a problem w/ it and I think that is attributed in part to my Marineland LED hood lights which I understand are pretty weak. There are 90 LEDS that I think are 60mw each(84 10000k white and 6 Blue). The hood for the fuge had (2) 15 watt incandescent bulbs(that's what was in it when I bought tank at yard sale) which I replaced 1 with a 20w Coralife 50/50 mini compact bulb. Now I have brownish algae taking over just the left side of the tank. Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

You can obviously see the difference in the light and the algae. So I have a couple questions.
    1. Should I really be concerned about microalgae in the fuge? I have chaeto in there as well (which seems to be getting denser not bigger).
    2. Should I add more snails to the fuge to help control the microalgae or would it be better to clean the algae out once in a while? I'd like to replace the other 15w incandescent bulb w/ another Coralife 50/50 and expect the algae will really take off after that. I have a ton of small nassarius type snails I got from the Jersey shore last year that do a pretty good job at clean up.
    3. What is the best way to keep the chaeto? Should I spread it apart or leave it in a tight ball? I've read both online and to me it would make more sense to spread it out so it gets more light.

Any input would be appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

I've seen where most people leave the chaeto in a ball and it will still grow rapidly. I would think a CUC would be the way to go vs. removing the algae manually. Better to have the algae growing in the fuge where it should vs. the DT.