Refuge idea help~

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by ScooterGuitar, Nov 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ScooterGuitar

ScooterGuitar Astrea Snail

Back into the game after some time off, wow a lot has changed in the past 7 years! Anyway, my idea/setup...55 gall FOWLR. I will have many fish, so I want a wet/dry, but also want to build a refugium. Right now I have a 20 tall sump, a 17"x8x8 wet/dry premade filter simply setting in the sump. Rio 2100 return pump. My dilemma is with this wet/dry being the size it is, how can I shove this, a skimmer (yet to buy) refuge, and return sump into the 20 gallon tank? Could the skimmer be placed in the return sump area if need be? Should there be a baffle between the wet/dry base and the refugium? Right now I threw a little sand and live rock in there with no baffle, put a simple poly-type thick pad after the sand area to help it not go into the pump. Seems to be working, but not what I want.
    Also, if I make baffles, what type of glue or sealant should I use to make the sections? Plastic or acrylic as from Lowes. Simple aquarium epoxy? Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hi Scooter!

Welcome to 3Reef! I was in the same boat as you! Tore my tank down about 6 years ago and just set it back up in Sept. this year!

There is a solution perhaps you are unaware of ...There is a refugium that can hang on the tank...Check this out...

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...roduct_Code=ECO-40M&Category_Code=Special

or

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...oduct_Code=CPR-RF18&Category_Code=Special

The benefit being , if you are trying to grow pods, for fish food, they will be gravity fed over into the tank...not chopped up in a return pump. :D

Plus, I have heard good things about the mud stuff. Some people run the mud filter fuges without skimmer....I don't know about that, esp with a FO.....lots of waste.

With a Hangon fuge, you can watch it as well!
    Hope this helps some

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Additionally, you could get along without the wet/dry if you are using enough LR. You could do a sump/fuge combo, here is mine

http://www.3reef.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?photo=birdlady/fuge.jpg

I made it myself from an old tank I had laying around. It is a 20 gallon fuge on a 58 gallon tank. (more pics in my gallery if you care to look)

5. ScooterGuitar

Yes, a hang-on would be nice, but I forgot to metion, I am running a 55 gallon HEX acrylic, argh I know, but its what I ahve to work with. I am sure the sump with wet/dry right now would be enough, but man the refuge idea is cool! It has to be a sump type set up.
    And thanks, this eems liek the place I wanna be! I tried posting on a few forums and was simply ignored, from looking at all the posts, etc everyone seems to want to help and what i really like, no one shoots down ideas just because it is out of the oridinary, good sound advice has always worked best.
    Birdlady, I am basically going for your setup, but with the addition of the wet/dry. I coudl do it, but woudl nto have the room for a kimemr or fuge, so after seeing different one son here, looks liek I can make my refugium about any way I want, and simply add a hang on skimmer to the sump section! I never woudl have thought of that! Any other ideas? I liked the one that had everything built into the back of the sump with the refugium running along the whole front side! Anyoen have luck with this design?

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

ScooterGuitar

[glow=red,10,300]WELCOME TO 3REEF[/glow]

7. ScooterGuitar

How about this idea! Get a hang on refuge and hang it on my sump? That way I can build up my sump however I want, hang the fuge ont he front to block out all the other items? Make sense? Shoudl work as long as the intake goes low enough, right?