Refresh and waste away questions

Discussion in 'DrTim's Aquatics' started by West Allis Dad, Jan 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. West Allis Dad

West Allis Dad Astrea Snail

I have a question on dosing with refresh. The website says every 3 or 4 days 1 capfull per 10 gallons for 10 to 14 days. Do I wait the full 4 days for the next dose or go 3. Do I do the full 14 days or 10. Then what is the dosage for the waste away?? Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

If you have a bad case of cyano you should try to remove as much as you can and then hit it with Re-Fresh. We then 3-4 days because you should observe your tank just to be safe - of course, we have tested our products and ton of people have used them but every tank is different. So if all is good - treat every 3 days. Again, if a bad case - treat 4 times with the Re-Fresh which is about 12 days.

As for the Waste-Away - the full dose is 1 ml per gallon or 1 ounce per 30 gallons but we highly, strongly, recommend you start with a 1/2 dose or ever 1/4 dose. If you see cloudy water do not add more until the water clears and then add the same amount as before. Only increase the dose when the previous dosing amount does not result in cloudy water.

If the water does not turn cloudy - wait 3 days and add more increasing the dosage 1/4 ---> 1/2 ----> 3/4 --- >1/1 (full dose). At full dose you may to add it 2 few times. If take 2 or 3 weeks. This is basically using a bacteria to out-compete another bacteria and if you rush things (adding too much, too soon, too often) you'll end up with bigger problems.

Cheers

4. West Allis Dad

Here are some pictures of what I have right now, bad or not?? How do I remove this from the sand bed?? Sorry, sort of a newbie at this. :cry:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

this is not a bad case. threat with Re-Fresh 3 times and then start with the Waste-Away. I would not stir up the coral substrate right now. But after 2 weeks of the Waste-Away treatment start mixing up the coral substrate a little at a time. This will help the process which is going to take a little time since it is into the substrate.

Cheers
    DrTim

6. West Allis Dad

Thank you very VERY much, Dr. Tim. I did one dose on Jan 1, will do the second this evening and the last on Saturday evening. That will complete the Re-Fresh.

When I ordered the Re-Fresh I ordered by mistake the one for the reef tanks instead for saltwater, is there a difference that I should know about??

7. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

You're VERY welcome - there is no difference between the saltwater and reef versions of Re-Fresh.