Refractometer-??? What's going on?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by arthur, Dec 14, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. arthur

arthur Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Maybe Im trying to much… I have mixed 125 reef tank. For last 5 years Im using Refractometers. There is many different opinions about this. With what to calibrate? RO water or Refractometer fluid. Recently I found inconsistencies. Ill try to explain it to you. I have 2 Refractometers. 1 4 years old 1 two years old. Two bottles of refractometer fluids. One old and one new ( year old). Problem. When I calibrate with those fluids I have different results in my tank water salinity. 0.024 and 0.026 which tells me fluids are bad ( at least one of them). So i calibrated them with RO water. Now salinity shows 0.027 on both refractometers. What you guys think? Any help, suggestions? It is really frustrating. I had to add that all is good in my reef.

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Don't calibrate with RO/DI. With the fluid, I know mine reads 35 ppt at 77°F. I stick the whole bottle in my tank to get it to temp. If your house is cool or warm, this can make a decent difference.

Marty likes this.
  4. Marty

Marty Stylophora

+1 always calibrate with the set point closest to what you are trying to measure.

5. arthur

Yes,thats what I was doing for most the time. But my problem is that when I calibrate with first bottle my tank water salinity is different then when I calibrate with second bottle. That means one of these calibrating fluids is bad.

6. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Do you have a LFS that uses a refractometer? Maybe have them double check it.

7. arthur

Im going there now…

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

The red sea refractometer auto calibrates for temperature. Might be something to look into

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

You will need a third kit.Hopefully that matches one of the other two or at least close.:)

11. timkatz71

timkatz71 Astrea Snail

I dont know why I didnt think about that last year when it appeared mine was off... I bought another meter and fluid... DUH