Reefgeek T5 SLR Retrofit Installation Help

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by infamous, Dec 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I just got these last night but i have no idea how to install them. I was hoping you guys can help with this.

I have a 4x54W T5 SLR reflectors and two Vossloh Shwabe ballasts that are 2x54W aswell.

I guess it came with everything i need but im really confused on how to hook everything up.

I've also included the installation instructions that were sent to me.
    Please click on the pictures to make them larger.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Here is the first picture of what i have received. Now i have another set of these since i ordered 4. But im guessing its the exact same installation on the other two.

The wiring is two red wires, two yellow wires and two blue wires also
    one extra yellow wire in the small bag as you can see next to the ballast.

[​IMG]

Pictures of the Installation Instructions
    I just don't understand the lingo in there. I wish there were just drawings instead.

The lamp clips im assuming are the white things i screwed in on one of the reflectors.
    The End-caps and the Mount im assuming are the round inserts and the flat plastic pieces respectively.
    I don't know what they mean by spacers/feet.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here are some pictures of the end cap
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Some pictures of ballasts
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

I took a quick pic of my ballast (not the same but I think its the same wiring)
    Just follow the diagram on the ballast to wire it up. To insert the wire into the endcaps, you basically strip off a little piece of the cable at the end and then push it in the endcap where it goes.

[​IMG]

4. infamous

Do the end caps go on the canopy and the bulb goes in ? then you snap on the reflector?

Im just trying to figure out the assembly first before i start wiring. If anyone can post a

picture of their setup, i'd appreciate it. This is the same as the ice cap install i believe

5. IBMGeek

I cant take a pic because two days ago I took everything apart to redesign the bracket.

You have to design a bracket where the endcaps go. To put the bulb in the endcap you just slide the endcap protectors into both end of the bulbs and put the bulb in one endcap first then do the other, then you just screw on the endcap protector. The reflectors are the last thing you put on (they snap unto the tubes)

Here is a picture of my bracket before I took it apart.(It worked fine but, I am going to split it in two)
    [​IMG]

To figure out where the endcaps go in your canopy, just slide the tubes into the endcaps and mark on the bracket/canopy where there at

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  6. infamous

i dont know what you mean by "design a bracket". I know how to put the bulbs in.

I'm trying to figure out how to mount it in the canopy.

You mean i have to design that wooden piece to go in my canopy?

But that would block the metal halides i got in there

Here is a picture of my canopy. The metal halides come out from the top so they are sticking out about 5 inches from the top of the canopy

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  7. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I am not absolutely positive that this is what you are asking about but see that bracket you have
    attached to the end cap, that is a stand off but you have it on wrong.

Turn it over and it gets screwed to the hood and the end cap gets snapped into place. if you turn it
    over it will have room under it for the base of the end cap to fit into, hence Stand Off Bracket, it
    stands above or off of the mounting place....
    [​IMG]

And yes the Reflectors get clipped onto the bulbs.

8. Click Here!

9. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Ahh, retros!! First and foremost you will have to build a frame, like mentioned. Take a look at my 180 thread, I believe I have a pic of the frame, its simple 1"x3" that I coated in three coats of spar vanish.

The next fun part is mounting the ballasts, stand offs and... us oh, I just looked at the pics again and don't see stand offs. They are the "u" shaped pieces that are mounted to the frame that the waterproof endcap clips into. Double check to see if you have them.
    You can see them in my thread as well, mine are metal.

The real fun part is wiring! Do you have any expierence? Luckily my boss was an Electrical engineer prior or it would have taken me 12 hrs instead of 2.5 hours to wire.
    You need to jumper the wire... meaning one wire goes to endcap port, 7th pic down, then another small wire goes from one port-the one that the main wire from ballast came from to the other. It is hard to explain in my terms, easier to show.
    Repeat that on the other end of bulb in other endcap with the return wire. Then repeat for all the bulbs!! :-D It will be fun!
    I will try to grab some of my pics and show you

Good luck

1 person likes this.
  10. infamous

That was exactly my question. Sorry about the wording.

So i go ahead and measure out the canopy and where i want the lights and screw the brackets in.

Once i get the wiring done i just snap the end caps to the bracket and the reflector to the bulb.

Ok i think i understand it now.

Still trying to figure out how to mount the halides but thats a whole another story.

OK ..i'll work on the wiring, that part is still a little confusing.

11. IBMGeek

Good catch gazog. I didnt even notice there were backwards.

Basically to mount it you just put it in your canopy where you want it to go. Then you mark where the standoffs go (two mounting screws). Then you pop off the standoff from the endcaps and mount the standoff in your canopy. Then when you mount the standoffs you just pop the endcaps back on and then just insert the bulbs.

[​IMG]

What bulbs did you get?

12. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Heres the stand offs...

[​IMG]

Heres a bad one of the frame and kids

[​IMG]

My computer is on its last leg and doesn't read my camera, otherwise I'd snap a few betterones for you

Hope these help!!