ReefBreeders LED first impressions

Discussion in 'Reef Breeders' started by Blue Falcon, Oct 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

So after 3 weeks of anticipation I just received my photon 32" for my 75g tank. First impressions are that I love this light. I was afraid that I wasnt going to be happy with the color because I was coming from ATI bulbs, but I am very pleased with the color. The unit itself seems very well build, good quality case, quiet fans. Single power chord and built in controller are very nice. I have been playing with the remote control for the last few hours and its really fun and easy to program.

For anyone with a 75g considering these lights, I would recommend spending the extra $$ and getting the 48" fixture for best coverage. I have 90 degree optics and the sides are noticeably darker than the center of the tank. This works out for my tank because I was running a 36" T5 fixture and had all of my lower light corals like shrooms and xenia on the sides of the tank. I took the optics off to see if this improved the coverage but honestly I didnt notice a big enough different in the tank, but I did notice alot more light spill when sitting on the couch right beside the tank, so I decided to put the optics back on.

*UPDATE* - I just raised the lights off the tank about 18" and raised the intensity a bit. Solved most of the coverage problems that I listed above. I STILL recommend going ahead and getting the 48" fixture for a 48" tank though.

I played around alot with the intensity, and 60% blue and 50% white LOOKED like same "brightness" as my ATI T5 fixture, so I'll start there and see what happens. I know alot of people start out at 30% or so but that was just way to dark for my eyes (not sure bout my corals though. lol)

I tried to take some pics, but I was unable to capture the color of the lights. I'll post the pics anyways because I know some of you wont look at a post unless it has a picture in it. :p

Just keep in mind that the color is NOT the same in real life, my camera skills just arent there.

To see them in full size right click the image > open in new window

These pics are 60% blue and 50% white.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Nice setup and review.Good luck with it.;)

4. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Nice review and good points regarding size and spillage.

Look hey you have a tank and a nice tank at that, must be the picture. :p

Hope you do not cook anything.

6. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

oh hi didnt recognize you cause you changed your avatar :p
    thanks and your right i will have to be careful not to cook the corals

7. paul.brandon83

paul.brandon83 Plankton

8. Click Here!

9. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Looks great! Although I'd def lower the intensity, just cause PAR isn't always brightness

10. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Yeah i played around alot with the intensity. Its a little confusing because im so used to lights coming on at full intensity and going off all of the sudden. With these lights its only at max intensity for one hour and then drops off again so its not like they get blasted all day long.