Reefbreeder's 120watt dimmable fixture review with pics and par numbers.

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by zoo 4 life, Aug 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

So, I finally got some time to install my reef breeder's LED's over my 55 gallon. I also got my hands on a PAR meter (thank you SLASH) and took some readings from my old MH/T5 combo set up -vs- the new LED's. So, first thing I noticed is how quiet my tank now is. I took off the dual cooling fans that I was running to keep my tank just south of 80 degrees, and now all I hear is the water draining down to my sump and my wave maker's switching from side to side.
    So I switch everything on and put both lights to about 25% and I look down to see every single button polyp is extended and looking really happy. This is a good sign, I have come to realize that even thought they are “beginner” coral, my pink button polyp’s are sensitive to bad light. I found this out the hard way when I tried to go cheap on MH bulb’s and bought an off-brand for $15, nearly killed the entire colony. Not the case here, nope, wide open and looking happy just like before. I then notice the Zooanthid garden is looking really happy as well, they have been doing extremely well and just because they are happy doesn’t really mean a whole lot. Thought I would mention this because they are my favorite. Lastly I look over and my rainbow bubble tip is big and happy like he is when the clown feeds him big pieces of krill (his favorite) only I have not fed him this week. And then for giggles, I turned the white lights off so only the blue lights were on and then my tank was literally glowing in the dark! Everything was glowing, Zoa’s , hammer coral, Montipora, Acropora, BTA, I mean everything looked like it had been painted with a florescent spray paint! It looks awesome!
    So far, I really like them. I took some PAR numbers with the old light and the new light but then I got to thinking, this is like comparing apples (MH/T5) to oranges (LED’s) so I took the PAR meter down to my other tank, a standard 29 gallon, that I am growing hard coral with ecoxotic PAR-38 bulbs to see what I could come up with. The result, the reefbreeder light blew them all out of the water. I have the numbers posted below as well as some pics but that is the brightest light I have right now. Now, the PAR numbers are actually misleading when it comes to LED’s, the PAR is actual a gross under estimate of what is really going on with LED lights! All I can say is…wow! I may need to get a third one for my 29 gallon in the future! I am really excited about these lights and would like to extend a big thank you to Anemone and Toallhisdoom and everyone else who helped organize and orchestrate this group buy.

PAR Results
    MH/T5 Combo (bulbs replaced 6/23/12 so they are very fresh) 250Watt XM 10K and True lumen 54 watt T-5, Hood is 6” from water surface.

Top(1” below water surface): 550
    Center(12” below surface):225
    Bottom of tank(24” from surface):133

Reef breeder LED 120 Watt Light 100% power on both channels
    Top: 590
    Center: 250
    Bottom:085 (very spotlight, ranges were from 125 to 080)

Ecoxotic PAR-38 bulbs (3) 2 18k, 1-12K, less than 1 year old
    Top:340
    Middle(9” from top):160
    Bottom(18” from top) 90

PAR Meter
    [​IMG]

With 25% power directly under light
    [​IMG]

Bomb-shell looking old dusty light
    [​IMG]

Full Tank Shot Leather's Still adjusting
    [​IMG]

Zoa Garden
    [​IMG]

My favorite coral and a urchin zoa thief
    [​IMG]

Happy clown/anemone
    [​IMG]

Hammer coral/Happy clown#2
    [​IMG]
    Blue's only, pic does not do it justice, major pop!
    [​IMG]

Purple tip acropora
    [​IMG]

Tri-Colored Acropora
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

wow that looks awesome man! i cant wait to get another one! i love this light, but hate my tank :( my gsp looked like yours do when i got them from my friend, but now they are not as full. and not all of them come out. grr. but light is still awesome! your tank looks great! i am envious!

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

So optics are probably best if you keep light demanding corals on the substrate?

5. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

Yes sir, and half price now

6. chewbaca

chewbaca Astrea Snail

How hard is it to ad the optics you're self

7. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

Not too bad I would imagine, they come wit holders. Just a little disassembly. We can buy them seperate for you if you want.

8. Click Here!

9. bhazard

bhazard Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Very easy if they have the holders, no glue needed. Disassembling the unit is easy too.

10. chewbaca

chewbaca Astrea Snail

Good to know, will prob be ordering some soon, loving the lights tho, very nice looking

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

how much?

12. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Nice, can't wait to get mine.