Reef tank

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by cira030, Oct 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cira030

cira030 Fire Worm

Hi. My name is Ryan. I have a 10 gal. tank that has been set up for about 9 months now. I have a ton of liverock in there and i used the stacking method. I have plenty of elevation for my corals. I also forgot to mention i have a 30 gal. filter with 2 cartriges in there for extra support. i also have 2 light fixtures and each of them holds 26 watts. it is a 50/50 light. i currently have 2 clowns, 5 assorted damsels, and a royal gramma. I also have 1 condy anemone which is doing wonderful and i have had it for a month now. I was wondering where to start coral wise. what is a good ph? is that too much fish? will it be easier if i get rid of some fish? can i squirt some brine/misis shrip in the corals for a good feeding sorce? how often should i feed them? is a protein skimmer needed? about how many corals can i house in there?

Sorry for all the questions but i am really anxious to get some cool corals in there. Is my tank conditions good for corals? is it mature enough? should i have to worry about them dying because of my lack of light or what? How hard will it be considering the tank size? thanks a lot for your time and i really appreciate the responses.

P.S.
    There is a lot of cracks and crevises. is this a good thing? is there something i can put in them coral wise? thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to 3reef! I'll let someone else answer your questions(I'm watching the Chargers game). Someone will chime in quickly....;)

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Welcome to three reef! Nice looking tank!
    As for starting in with corals. I would get a skimmer. I used to not have one, now I do. They help a lot.
    As far as water params are concerned, it would help to know what you are at right now. Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, SG, PH, temp?
    If you want to start out with corals, add in calcium, magnesium, alk, and phosphate test kits as well.

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Peace.......John.

6. cira030

cira030 Fire Worm

Hey thank you all for the responses.

So what you are saying is you dont reccomend corals and you recommend what you listed?

7. cira030

cira030 Fire Worm

how do what you recommended work (the zoa rock and the Kenya tree)? do they kling to the rock? is it easy to position them? do they like the crevices or where should i position them? and how do i go opon feeding them? can i just use a turkey baster and squirt brine/misis shrimp on them? i cant find a picture of the mushroom rock. can u post one?

thanks,
    ryan

P.S.
    this message was directed toward pharmrjohn but if anyone else can help me that would be great.

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

+1 on that, way too many fish

10. cira030

cira030 Fire Worm

and a question for guitarman, i was told with that big a filter for such little tank, that is just over a little too much. and because of how matured the tank is. is this not true?

11. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

i get the feeling that you are in some sort of a rush? It might just be me but i think that it would be best to do a lot of research before adding anything else because it is easy to get in over your head when it comes to this hobby. Good luck

12. cira030

cira030 Fire Worm

morau, i did more research than you can imagine trust me. this was not the first thread i read.