Reef Tank *Green Algae Problems *PICTURES

Discussion in 'Algae' started by TroyShaw24, Jun 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TroyShaw24

TroyShaw24 Astrea Snail

Hey guys, I have a 55G reef tank that has been running almost a year now. I have been battling this green algae issue for a long time and I cant seem to figure it out.

Salinity; 1.024
    PH; 7.9
    Ammonia; 0
    Nitrate; 0
    Nitrite; 0

I am running a 4G refugium with deep sand bed and macro algaes in it. A Phosphate Reactor with Fluval Lab Series Phosphate Remover which I purchased about 2 months ago (the reactor not the phosphate remover) trying to figure out this green algae problem. (It has not helped at all) The API phosphate test I have is kinda hard to read but it seems like phosphates are at 0. Two Power Heads and a Protien Skimmer.

What do you guys think the problem could be? :confused:

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

your tank looks fine? green coraline?

4. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Agreed, everything looks fine from a full tank shot picture. Maybe you have closeup of pictures where you believe there to be a problem?

5. TroyShaw24

TroyShaw24 Astrea Snail

Maybe, I dont know. I have to scrape it off the front glass almost weekly. It dosnt feel or scrape off like the purple coraline so I just thought it was your basic green algae crapper haha. I dont really like it haha.

Anyone else think this is coraline? I hope its not.... :-/

6. PghSteeler

If it comes right off and is only on the glass I wouldn't worry about it. Thats called maintenance and a magfloat works great :)

7. TroyShaw24

TroyShaw24 Astrea Snail

Here is a couple close up pictures of the more "green" areas. :-/

Thanks for the quick replies guys! Both of you! ;D

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Toallhisdoom

10. TroyShaw24

TroyShaw24 Astrea Snail

LOL classic ;D. Its not only on the glass though. Its all over the rocks too.

So are you guys scrapping glass once every week too? Is this normal maintenance?

Sorry for all the questions. I am still pretty new to the reef aquarium, but I am learning :)

11. Toallhisdoom

i hit my glass every couple days.... ugh! lol but the rest of my tank is spotless, kole tang sucks all the algae off everything! and diamond goby sifts the sand! so looks super clean

12. PghSteeler

I do clean the glass every 7-10 days. A good scrubbing of the front and sides I tend to leave the back alone to grow naturally as food for the CUC. I am not sure exactly what kind of algae you are dealing with without closeups but it sounds like diatoms to me which would be indicative of silicates in your system. These are exactly bad just unsightly sometimes. The diatoms will die off as they are used up, but almost anything you introduce to your tank has silicates, so if you put a new pump on the tank or a new powerhead or really almost anything you can think of you will reintroduce silicates that will cause diatoms.
    Do you have a CUC to eat away at the algae?