Reef safe trigger?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Alex, Mar 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Alex

Alex Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Is there such a thing? I heard one person say at the LFS that they could order a reef safe trigger. All I have ever heard aside from that tho is there is no such thing. Anyone here know one that is completely reef safe?

2. Click Here!

3. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

There are other things to consider with a trigger. They will dig under rocks and they are big waste machines. Aside from that and from what I've heard and I don't vouch for it but the blue jaw trigger might work. And I say MIGHT work. I had a 150 gal fish only tank years ago. I had a Clown Trigger, Huma Huma, Pink Tale Trigger, Queen Trigger. The pink tale was the most docile of all them and the least aggressive. Just a little boring to look at but they have a great personality. A happy fish. But, with a Trigger you may put your corals at risk. They are OK in FOWLR tanks. That's where I leave them.

4. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

I have heard of people keeping humu triggers with corals without a problem..but i still wouldn't consider them "reef safe" because any crab etc will be lunch

5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

blue jaw, sargassum, crosshatch are all considered reef safe. Pink tails also. With this being said, most of them will eat any fish small enough to go into the mouth.

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I have a pair of blue jaws in my tank right now! As with any fish, they can turn and start eating your corals..only takes one bite to realize that hmmmm.....this taste pretty good!

I have had my blue jaws for about 8 months now and somebody in my tank is eating my clams! I think it is the male blue I dont know!

7. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

blue jaws are reef safe due to the fact they come from an ocean where coral doesn't exist (from what the LFS owner told me) the issue being they get BIG for a trigger, their still aggressive to other fish and any invert and not to mention their typically a very expensive fish
    Huma's aka Picasso Triggers are semi-reef safe, they will nip every now and again in my experience but once again they are very agressive to everything else.

Just dont make the mistake I did and buy an Undulated trigger, they'll go after anything and everything including you if you stick your arm in the tank

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

actually they come from hawaii and some of the outter reefs of australia. Plenty of corals there. From my experience and the research that I have done on these critters, their mouth (turned upwards) makes it very hard for them to nip corals so they just don't do it. Same with nigers. Like I said though, they will go after smaller fish and may nip at clam mantels. They actually don't get much bigger than 9 inches in captivity while growing to 14 in the wild.

10. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

Oh and niger trigger also that is in the i call semi reef safe bracket..
    I have had a Sargassum and would let the cleaner shrimp clean in side its mouth and never botherd a thing but my finger at feeding time...

With these guy's its a 50/50 chance you get a good one..!!!

Good luck..!!

11. Alex

Alex Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

thanks guys. well I dont think ill go triggering anytime soon. was just curious.