Reef Safe Anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Thatgrimguy, May 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Is there any anemone that will host a clown that is reef safe?

I'm wanting to add one to my 210 gallon after it's well established. I plan on having a sps dominate tank though...

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

IMO
    there is no such thing
    anything that packs a powerfull sting, with the ability to move is not something I have ever considered reef safe

many people are succesful with nems in mixed tanks including SPS
    but there have been more than a few disasters involving them ( stuck in power heads, moved over other corals, died and released toxins etc etc)

with a 210, your in with a better chance than individuals with smaller set ups IMO
    as you could avoid the issues above with thoughfull placement and disctance between the nem and the SPS corals

but there will always be an element of luck IMHO

Steve

4. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I would personally put the anemone in first if possible before corals because they will move until they find there spot. Depending on the clown there are LTA, BTA, and Sebae.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Carries a significant risk.

My advice is if you go that direction, get the anemone first and allow it a while to settle in.

You might reduce the risk by getting anemones that reside in the sand bed at the base of the rock work, like a LTA or carpet.

6. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Thanks for all the advice. How long after I set my tank up should I wait before trying to add a carpet anemone?

Also, will a carpet absolutely stay in the sand bed? or just most likely?

7. MarineHobbyist

MarineHobbyist Flamingo Tongue

when i turned my tank from a fowlr to a reef, first thing i got was my huge carpet. waited a few weeks until i was sure it had found its spot, then started adding corals after.

but i'm still scared until now that it might move one day.

it won't hurt just your corals. it ate one of my cleaner shrimps, and i know a friend that had an anemone that ate its tang.

that being said, it's still fun to look at, and my clowns are hosting happily. i just make sure i feed it regularly, hoping that it would help prevent it move.

8. Click Here!

9. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

For whatever it's worth, my RBTA will stay in a spot for a couple weeks then decide it wants to tour the tank a little... find another spot and settle down for a couple weeks. It's never come close to my LPS, but it likes the light (which is where your SPS would be).

10. Corailline

A carpet will only move up the rock work or the glass when very stressed. Once it finds it's spot if it moves too far something is wrong.

The risk is though they will eat fish and inverts. Extremely strong sting, they can take down a tang. I have heard people say that if you feed them that is not as likely to happen, but I am not buying.

We have a really good sponsor here that routinely has beautiful carpets and clown fish. I will look for the link.

You are an experienced reefer judging by your 30 gallon so I think 3-6 months, somewhere in there, when you think the typical new tank swings are out of the way.

11. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Hmm... I may be better off just getting a little better lighting in my FOWLR at my store and watch it there!

12. Corailline