Reef Pods - Get them while they last

Discussion in 'Reef Cleaners' started by johnmaloney, Sep 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Dang'it John! I wanted those when I ordered my snails last week but you didn't have any! You're so secretive with these ;)

4. johnmaloney

lol.. it is a shipping issue thing. We are usually out diving when they can come, or shipping but they come in too late in the day to put in orders.. It is just too tricky to keep them in stock without holding them for awhile. If you just need to seed pods you can always ask us for a penny algae with some pods on it. It wont be a ton, but enough to seed. This is a good product for culturing a strain of pods

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Well now I know for next time! :) You're awesome - thanks for everything!

6. johnmaloney

Thanks!

- and this is also goes for the rest of you in the 3reef community of course.

7. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Just curious, but what do you recommend as a good way for culturing these at home. I was going to order a bag or two from you.

8. Click Here!

9. johnmaloney

1. take a cheap $4 sterilite container with some ventilation on top but not much in a secure place with flood protection away from electric outlets etc...
    2. add some tankwater, the pods and phyto
    3. add slight circulation via air powered sponge filter
    4. feed sinking marine granules, as small as you can find them.
    5. provide some hiding spots that are convenient to use as traps when feeding to the tank - should cut down on possible cannabilism too

that should do it. stack a few containers so if one crashed you can restart the culture. They dont need deep water, but keep the lid on to keep salinity manageable.

keep a culture as pure as possible. introducing new species tends to lead to a dominance of one - usually the larger. (So dont mix amphipods in a copepod culture for example...)

10. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

John....

Just ordered some pods... and of course had to buy a few other things while I was there....

Thanks
    Mark

11. stauchistory

stauchistory Feather Duster

Can you tell me what phyto is, as I'm a noob and have no clue. :confused:

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

phyto is phytoplankton, it is the green smelly stuff that you can find in your LFS refrigerator. Certain filter feeding animals and some corals (not much) use this as food.