Unresolved Reef octopus whistling...

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Daniel521, Nov 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Daniel521

Daniel521 Flamingo Tongue

My skimmer is making a whistling/squealing noise from the breather hose... Any ideas how to fix it? I've taken the hose off checked it there was a clog but nothing fixes the problem for long. The black "filter" thing on the end of the breather doesn't come apart but it still whistles when it's off. Any fix ideas would be awsome

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Leave it on... That's what it's for, to stop the noise ;)

4. Daniel521

It's making less noise when it's off tho... Where can I even buy another one of these things. I'm assuming it's clogged with salt

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

You are talking about the black thing with 2 tube/holes on top the air intake tube plugs into right?

You can get one direct from Reef Octopus.

However, you could also just soak it in vinegar/water for few hours and then rinse it well.

I have found I have to adjust my overflow (mine is HOB) to decide how far over the pump the water level is. Mine is quietest when the water level in the skimmer in the pump section is about 1-2 inches higher than the pump...

6. Daniel521

Yup that's the piece, looks like a film canister with two small pipes poking out the top. I'll give the vinegar bath a try tomm, if all else fails I'll try to give reef octopus a call. Thanks for the help!

7. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

Check for cracks in the plastic air intake piece. Maybe it's not snapped together all the way and letting a bit of air in throught the crack...Just a thought.

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

probably goes without saying, but just so you know

I find it unlikely it has salt buildup inside... but if it does and you get that vinegar solution inside it to break the salt down, it'll probably take a good day in the sun to dry out - those little holes kind of trap the moisture. And when it's wet in there it gets noisy (though it will eventually dry out in use too).

I once had some build up on the outside tube thing so I just dipped it in the solution for an hour vs submerging the whole thing so as to keep the inside relatively dry... make sense?

10. Daniel521

Ha funny you mentioned that... I did have it break off before and had to glue it ll back together... First thing I checked when it woke me up

11. Daniel521

Yup makes sense but I think I'm gonna try the vinegar bath and then sit it on top of my dehumidifier for a few nights... Even if it isn't salt inside I figure what's the harm in over cleaning right

1 person likes this.