Reef Octopus Super XP 2000 Cone Protein Skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Matt Rogers, Sep 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The Reef Octopus Super XP 2000 protein skimmer comes out this month on the 21st! 8) It is the first cone style skimmer in their lineup and looks like a great one. 30 watts consumption? Bubble blaster pump? 3 year warranty? Sounds like another winner by Reef Octopus.

[​IMG]

Reef Octopus Super XP 2000E External. Protein Skimmer is a Brand New design in our ever popular Reef Octopus line of protein skimmers. Powered by Bubble Blaster pump!

An integrated bubble plate to help reduce turbulence within the skimmer which helps build a dense head of foam.
    Ultimate cone shape body, extra-wide plumbing and necks allow for more air flow and more stable reactor chamber. Wedge pipe output which allows you to adjust the skimmer and have greater control of adjustments compared to using ball valves.
    Quick release neck on the collection cup - requires 1/2 inch of clearance to remove the cup.
    XP2000E can be used as an external or as an in-sump unit.

Model Super XP 2000E Specifications:

* Recommended for tanks up to 200 gallons with average bio load.
    * Height: 23"
    * Power Consumption: 30 watts
    * Air Input: 50SCFH
    * Base Diameter: 8"
    * Neck Diameter: 4"
    * 3 year pump warranty!

$399 (Internal)
    $599 (External)

3reef Sponsor Aquacave is taking orders:

Reef Octopus Super XP 2000 In-Sump Cone Protein Skimmer by CoralVue* - AquaCave
    Reef Octopus Super XP 2000 EXTERNAL Cone Protein Skimmer by CoralVue* - AquaCave

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

I have my eyes set on this one....

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I just added internal/external links - which are you looking at?

5. dpruitt7450

dpruitt7450 Bubble Tip Anemone

6. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

8)
    Im looking at the internal one.... This is coming out just in time when I need to upgrade my skimmer.

This truly does look like a real winner.... The cone body and the pump is what has me sold on this. Been reading all the hype on this all over the web 8)

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Cool. Post pics when you get it. Cone mania continues! :D

8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

This still has me skeptical.

ATB was the first and is well proven. So many compare.... Most of the makers stay close to the basic design of body size, neck length, and air through it.

The XP-2000 body is the size of a small cone that many makers put out. The pump is capable of running a large that many makers have. 50 scfh is a crap ton of air to put through that size of body. I expect Octo to restrict it in some way to match the small body. Only problem is that it will be a "small" cone skimmer.

I'm not hating. Octo could really blow apart the expensive cone market. Also, the Bubblr Blaster (3000) looks to be a very good pump even if it is from China. It looks very nice, with very good features. This size skimmer really needs a smaller one though.

This offering looks very promising, but it remains to be seen how it will actually perform and what the real numbers will be. I've asked, but nobody knows.

10. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I'm eyeing this skimmer too. I can't get the footprint dimensions, though. The specs give the base and neck diameter, but the footprint spec is left blank on every web page I've encountered.

It does look like an outstanding skimmer, though.

I'm wondering, Powerman, what would the consequences of "too much air" be?

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

It's all a balancing act of how much water it can process, how much air the neck can handle, and how you get it to skim wet or dry.

If you raise the skimmer, or lower the water level, it will pull more air due to less head pressure to overcome. But then you don't process as much water. Lowering pulls more water, but air draw suffers. More air dryer skimmate, less air and higher water level skims wetter.

If the neck is too small for the air, it just blows through. Too big and it does not form a good foam head and can't push it up to collect.

To put it in perspective 50 scfh is 1400 lph. A Bubble King ex 250 pulls 1500 lph and is rated for 250-500g. A SWX 250 can pull 70 scfm, but has a 11" cone and a 5.5" neck and is rater for 400g heavy load. A ATB 840 does 700 lph w/ regular pin wheel, and has the same size body as the XP-200. So this one is putting twice the air through the same body.

Plus, all that air is not doing much work if the body is not large enough to allow good contact time. So all the air in the world needs a body to work.

So again, not hatin'. If the pump "can" pull 50 scfm, but actuall air draw on the XP-2000 is say 700-900 lph (24-32 scfm) then this will be a great skimmer, great pump, and great price. It remains to be seen what 50 scfm will do in a body this size.

1 person likes this.
  12. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I'm not quite sure how, but a guy locally got his hands on one of those already and he really likes it. Started pulling good skimmate after 10 hours.