reef octopus extreme 160 problem used

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Mkizla, Aug 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

I got reef octopus extreme 160 used couple weeks ago, but I never owned a skimmer this big before, I had a small cube tank before I upgraded to 57 couple weeks ago. I got his skimmer along with it.

My question is, first I was not producing enough bubbles for it to come out to the skimming cup, so couple hours ago, i took the skimmer out and hosed it down with water, cleaned all the junk and stuff. Now when I installed it its overflowing with water.

And I can't find manuel for this product anywhere. Any idea what to do?

2. Click Here!

3. cbs3315

cbs3315 Ritteri Anemone

You may need to raise the skimmer up a little to lower the water level also my skimmer did the same thing when I cleaned it last time and after about 24 hours it started working like it should but I'm not sure about reef octopus

4. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

If it has been cleaned it will take some time to get rebroken in. May take a week or two to build up the slime on the inside of the skimmer before it starts skimming well again. Give it some time and let us know how you make out.

5. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

so should I just have it left off? or try to find a way to get this machine going withought water flowing everywhere

6. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

I know when I first got my skimmer I couldn't get the bubbles to reach the collection cup. After it broke in I had to turn it way down to keep it from overflowing. I'd give it a week or two, it'll come around. In the mean time just check the airlines to make sure they aren't clogged, but I'm sure it just needs to break in for a bit.

7. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

As CBS said you will also need to check to make sure you have the skimmer the right depth in the water, you should be able to find those specs online easily.

8. Click Here!

9. threephase37

threephase37 Fire Worm

I have the extreme 200 with the gate valve and sits in 9.5" of water. make sue the output of the skimmer is not blocked in any way, start shallow at say 6" of water so it doesnt blow the lid off and adjust from there.