Reef Octopus BH2000 question

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by billybaldwin3, Mar 11, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billybaldwin3

billybaldwin3 Skunk Shrimp

as many of u know i am new to saltwater, SO, i've never used a protein skimmer....

and there is a hole below the collection cup, am i supposed to keep the collection cup above this and let it vent or something? or should i lower it enough to cover it?

or is this something i just need to figure out as it's working?

i just dont want to do something i'm not supposed to and have it not function properly.

i'm pointing at the hole in the picture...

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I believe that is a overflow hole to help water escape into the return chamber.It would be best not to allow the collection cup to cover it.During break in you will need the cup set much higher than that and even after break in it's not likely that you will need the cup set that low.

4. billybaldwin3

yep, i went to coralvue's website and that's what they said. :)

5. abus500

abus500 Plankton

Hole

Yup, if you make sure the black plastic screw is set in (pushes the collection cup slightly to the right) it will allow the water to flow to the side. I currently have my collection cup set quite a bit lower than the hole. take a look at the picture I attached.

Also, the return pipe, i tilted it sideways to lower the water level. I did this because I got nervous. Sometimes, when you add stuff in your tank (food, dosing etc) I noticed he foam production to get right at about the top side of the edge. I felt more comfortable having the water level sit a bit lower and push my collection cup a bit lower as well...

I also took the sponge and moved it up to the top. It made it easier to clean.

Also, I noticed that sometimes, I have issues getting the skimmer to start. What I do is remove the silencer, and place my plastic syringe. I pull just enough water so that the air line is filled with water. Then I turn it on, and pull the syringe so the syringe body fills with more water. Usually pumping it like that will kick in. I noticed that if you get air in the impeller chamber, even if you plug the airline, it might not work.

Good luck!

ps. Yes, my skimmer is quite dirty and is due for a cleaning. I usually have to empty my collection cup every 2 to 3 days. It is set up on a 250L tank, with 2x firefish, 2x stubby clown fish, 1x black ocellaris, 1x yellow tang, 1x flame angel, 1x sand sifting goby, 1x 6line wrasse, 1x cleaner shrimp, bunch of hermit crabs, and snails, as well as corals...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

That is a great skimmer. I had one just like it a couple years ago. I believe that hole was put in there to address the noise issue the older ones used to have. The water level in the return section would allow air to get into the return pipe causing some water fall noises. I believe that hole was placed there to allow more water into the return section eliminating the water fall effect. My skimmer cup was also set below where that hole would have been, I liked to skim wet on that tank.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

that was very nice to post pictures like that! oh, and that skimmer is not dirty :)

8. Click Here!

9. billybaldwin3

thanks! pics always help!

considering i'm new to this, i don't always know exactly what all the terms mean.

MUCH APPRECIATED! :)