Reef keeper lite

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by kss2801, Jun 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

Hey guys,

I am thinking about buying one of these. I've read a lot of great reviews on it, just wanted to find out if the regular koralia evolution 1400 pumps would work on this. Does it have a soft start for these pumps? Would the constant on/off cycle damage these pumps?
    Thanks for any help.

Kevin

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

It dosn't have soft starts, but the EVOs are fine as the shaftless impeller design does not need it. I have a 750 on an RKL, works great. Just make sure to put it on outlet 1 or 4. 2 and 3 can't handle switching on and off low power devices constantly, without an inline surge protector to make it work right.

1 person likes this.
  4. kss2801

Ok, sounds like a go then. I'll have to remember that.
    I know that a pretty common complaint abt this controller was the lack of proper instructions.
    Thanks for your help.

5. kss2801

How do you like the controller otherwise?

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

The instructions are good, but you need to download everything. Their forumn is good too. I have no complaints about the RKL. Certainly does everything I need and more. For the price I don't think you can beat it. Something like the Apex will have more frills though. I think you just need to determine exactly what you want to control and see what skimmer does it. The RKL certainly has some limits, so, it may not, but for most people it probably will, but you may need to sacrifice some frills. Just depends what those are worth to you.

7. kss2801

I don't really care much about the frills, if they're there then great, if not I'm ok with that. I just want to run my two koralia's with the wavemaker function and run my PAR bulbs with one of the timers. Maybe eventually set up some kind of dosing system using the timers and use a fan with temperature control. I think i should be covered there.

8. Click Here!

9. vtecintegra

vtecintegra Fire Worm

I've got the lite and two 1400s. It works but the koralias make an annoying thump/click everytime the wavemaker function turns them on. It's a relative thing, may or may not bother you, but I notice some of my fish get startled. I'm about ready to just run the pumps full time. Thump is starting to get old.

10. kss2801

I've read about this happening a couple times. I think there is a mod you can do with airline tubing to stop the noise though. I will have to look into that if i get the noise? Did you ever try it?

11. Owentl

Owentl Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Make sure you use the correct channel/plug on the PC4. I was using wave maker feature on my RKL and had things plugged in wrong and it would actually reboot the controller.

Other than that I love the RKL. With the new firmware for the net module you can even program via the web page (like the apex).

12. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I have a regular 2 pump wavemaker that I think came with a nano cube and I bought slightly used, working with a maxi jet 1200 with sureflo mod and a koralia 4 and I get the clicking/thumping noise every start of the koralia. A friend told me about the airline tubing mod, but I must have not done it properly since the noise is still there. I'm going to look this up online.

Sent from my phone using my two opposable digits