Reef flakes Vs Mini flakes

Discussion in 'Sand' started by jonnyeatworld, Apr 30, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jonnyeatworld

jonnyeatworld Astrea Snail

Anyone have experience with either of them? I've heard great things about the reef flakes, but would like the tank to look more like sand, so i am leaning towards the mini flakes. I want to get a blue spotted jaw fish, which would be better? thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I don't have experience with either, but I use reefrocks.net sand in all my tanks. You don't need to rinse it, it is perfect for sand sifters, and yet not so fine that it will create a sandstorm from said sand sifters.

Plus if you buy some rocks, you can get it for 40 lbs for $15 shipped IIRC.

4. jonnyeatworld

Thanks! i'll check them out!

5. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Yep, the one thing I like is that the miniflakes won't blow around. However, I ended up using reefflakes just because although the grain size is small its more varied and lighter colored that the other sands from tropic eden. Well worth the money and better than any other sand I've used before. Go for the reeflakes and you won't be dissapointed.

6. jonnyeatworld

Reef flakes have been sold out for quite some time. I just ordered their sample pack for $9. So i can really see what each size looks like. I'm in no rush since I plan on starting to build my custom stand this weekend and haven't even purchased the tank yet :)

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I can't wait to see your tank jonny - you really are thinking this through so carefully! I'm sure you will find success in this hobby :)

8. Click Here!

9. jonnyeatworld

I ended up buying both types and going to mix them. It looks like a great product!!!