reef dip vs. ich?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by JJK, Aug 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Will dipping a coral in Reef Dip eliminate ich that may be dormant on the coral?

Should I only dip SPS, or also LPS and softies?

2. Click Here!

3. Fujin

Fujin Feather Duster

Why are you concerned with ridding your corals of ich?

4. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Here my thoughts on ick. Ick is like a bad cold for a human, if a human is healty it will survie. If a fish is healthy it will make it. I have never taken a fish out of a reef that has ick bc in my past experiences it stress not only the fish with ick out but the rest of the tank as well. Every time i do that i lose the fish every time i leave them in the tank they get better :) i will probably get flammed for this lol but its what has given me the best of luck so far in my reef keeping hobby!

5. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

The reason I want to know about ridding corals of ich is that I have quarantined all my fish for a long time in an attempt to rid my system of ich, and have left my DT fallow. But assuming that I have ridded the system of ich, there is always the risk of re-introduction with each new addition to the tank, be it fish or coral. It is easy to get rid of ich prophylactically on fish - copper in a QT. But corals are a different story. So will a dip like Reef Dip help eliminate the parasite, or is there no choice but to wait out 6-8 weeks?