Reef breeders Photon48 for a 90 Gallon - how much power should be our "max" power?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by =Jwin=, Dec 30, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

We are slowly acclimating in our new Reef breeders Photon48 over our 90 gallon reef, starting with a custom cycle that peaks at 30% power.

However, as we progress through this acclimation progress, what % power should be our max? Is it safe to have 100% on everything just to get the maximum amount of light possible? Or would keeping it dialed back at say 80% or so be better? I'm assuming this is dependent on what corals are being kept.

On top of our rock we have stylophora, acropora, and monticaps. Mid level would be a duncan, some blastos, trumpet coral, and the occasional mushroom including recordia mushrooms. Bottom level/sand level includes mushrooms including recordia, leather coral, hammer coral, torch coral, and a lobo brain coral. Eventually we would like to add a clam of sorts that would either be on the sandbed or mid level.

Is this all OK to have our fixture peak at 100% once it's acclimated? Should it be toned down a bit, or do we want as much light as possible for our corals?

This is my mom's aquarium and I have been out of the saltwater game for about 5 years, so my coral/lighting info is a bit rusty :D

2. Click Here!

3. BoB123

BoB123 Spaghetti Worm

If using no optics start at 10% then every week go up 2% until at 30%-40%, for LPS/softies, 40%-50% for SPS/Acros,Montis

If using 90 degree optics start at 10% then every week go up 2% until at 20%-30%, for LPS/softies, 30%-40% for SPS/Acros,Montis

But using optics make a "collar wheel effect"

100% will kill all your corals these lights put out a lot of PAR

Great choice in lights.

4. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

I have my peak at 75% both channels and have been really happy with results. I have a photon24 with 90deg optics over my 57g hanging 9" off water and tank is 21 inches tall. They can put out a ton of light and takes awhile to get it dialed in to what works for your tank. Been running my fixture since July and have really liked it.

5. BoB123

BoB123 Spaghetti Worm

Wow, you have the same tank im getting tomorrow and light im getting in April.

I don't have the light yet, but I have been reading and seeing videos on this light. Everyone is saying that they are to much, about 50% should be good on the 57.

6. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Thanks for the input! Unfortunately due to mounting issues, our fixture hangs about 4 to 5 inches over the water level, which is a little closer than I'd like. So far everything in the tank seems to like it, and programming it's intensity curve for a day cycle is very easy. It's a great fixture.

Oh, and we aren't running optics on ours. Our tank is about 20" from the waterline to the top of the sand bed.

7. BoB123

BoB123 Spaghetti Worm

Ok,, so only need 30-40% if its that close.