Reef Breeders 120W Bridgelux or 72W Cree LED fixture?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Astrick117, Oct 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

So, I am contemplating getting 2 LED fixtures for over my 75g mixed reef. I've researched a bit, but still don't feel I have a great understanding of LED's and would love some feedback on which seems to be better.

I am torn between two fixtures. The first is a 120W with Bridgelux LED's and 120 degree optics:

They utilize 55 highly efficient 3 watt bridgelux LEDs in over 7 different colors, including 2 kinds of red, blue, green, UV, violet, royal blue, and cool white. Each fixture measures 16" long x 8.5" wide, x 2.5" tall, and covers a 24" cube for sps, and a 36" long area for sps in the middle, and lps/softies on the edges. They dim via knobs mounted on top of the fixture, and have 2 separate plugs, switches, and dimming knobs to allow for a dawn/dusk effect. As with all of our fixtures, it is kept cool with silent cooling fans, and comes with a full 2 year warranty.

The other is a 72W with Cree LED's and either 60 degree or 90 degree secondary optics:

The 2 channel fixture has 2 dimming channels, one with 12 royal blue crees, and the other with 2 red, 1 green, 1 blue, and 8 cool white cree LEDs. All of the LEDs come with 90 or 60 degree optics. Each fixture measures 15.75" long x 6.25" wide x 2" tall, and will cover a 24" cube, in which you can keep sps, lps, or softies.

Both are $200 shipped. Which should I get?

2. Click Here!

3. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

get the 299 controllable version. All built into one. That's what I'm looking at owning. They have a thread on it and a few 3reef members already have one. From what I've seen there's a great variation of color to those units.

4. leigh

leigh Flamingo Tongue

PM'd <3

5. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

I'm really not trying to spend $299 per unit. Yes, they may be better, but I really don't need them to dim on their own- I'm fine with using them on external timers.

If you were to get one of the fixtures I mentioned, which would be better?

6. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Yup,I agree,the controllable version came out the day I received my 120w bridgelux fixture,i'm very,very happy with it,but had I known for $100 more that I could have the same fixture that was controllable/programmable I would have.You won't be disappointed by either.You'll still have manual dimmer control on the bridgelux value fixture as well.

7. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Understood. That's a question I'm sure you're going to get several answers on. I'm honestly waiting to get my first LED fixture so I cant speak from experience on the subject, but a few folks here have had a lot of success with Cree DIY lights. I'm going to have to ask reefbreeders what brand they are using in their new model, cause now you have me wondering. Their thread nor the site makes no mention of the diode type.

8. Click Here!

9. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

I'd go with the bridgelux of the two you mentioned. It comes with uv, and violet colors which is a great addition versus just the cree's 5 colors mentioned.

10. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

ARGH! You guys are killing me! Now, I just looked at the controllable one and noticed that I could get secondary optics on them for no charge and I wouldn't need to worry about timers, etc. I can't believe I am saying this, but now I am considering the controllable.

When I started looking at these on Sunday, I started out with thinking- 2 Taotronic non-dimmable fixtures for $160 each is the way to go. Now, I'm up to $299 a pop!

So... more questions:

1) What would be the ideal optics degree for two 120W bridgelux fixtures over my 75g? 60, 90, or 120?

2) Does anyone have a picture comparison of the same fixture with different LED optics? I know that the optics are meant to control the light spread, but wasn't sure what each would look like.

11. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

well i have 1 120w bridgelux value over my 75. It came with 120deg optics and covers the tank nicely. I am going to get a second fixture eventually. If you do 2, i would go with 90 optics, 120 would be way to wide spread and a waste of light. I would also go with the controllable fixture if i had the chance to do it over.

12. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Something else to consider LOL,for less than the cost of two controllable ones you can buy a 27 inch 160watt Razor.I think one unit would light your75 and would look great above it.I have the 20inch version and it does dawn to dusk very nicely with the built in timer.