Reef Aquarium - Glass or Acrylic?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Matt Rogers, Jul 17, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Glass.

89.8%
  2. Acrylic.

10.2%
  1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Personally I like glass for reef aquariums but I will say it's nice to be able to move around my 5 foot long 75 show acrylic tank by myself.

Anybody have experience with using both as reef tanks though? Which did you prefer?

:ears:

2. Click Here!

3. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Glass for me. I'd have to say that it's a little more difficult to scratch than acrylic but a little more fragile than the counter-part. ;D

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

GLASS GLASS GLASS! Almost all of the tanks in the lab are acrylic....and....scratching...SO MUCH SCRATCHING...CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!!....

sorry about that...little breakdown. lol

Well i think that the cons to acrylic outway the pros...which are what? less heavy?...not really sure.

5. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

glass forever!!!!

besides the mentioning of acrylic weighing less, there is also the fact that acrylic is a better insulator. that can be both good and bad.....if the power goes out, cool.....my acrylic tank stays warm. if it becomes too hot in the summer time and i don't have a chiller....all of my inhabitants become seafood chowder. glass is difficult to move especially with a larger tank, but that's what friends are for :) . acrylic can be manipulated into all sorts of shapes and sizes but in my opinion the classic rectangle rules for viewing.....but in the long run.....for me, it's all about the glass (especially starphire :) ).

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Glass for me even if the sole reason for this is based on scratch resistance. Once you get scratches, they stick out like a sore thumb...then you get algae in the cracks. Yes, they are lighter, but how many times and how often are you going to move a fish tank? They are more expensive as a whole as well.

7. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

Glass = hard to scratch

8. Click Here!

9. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

10. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

Glass for sure but acrylic seems to be a good fit for a fuge if you find on for a good deal. To my understanding they are easier to drill.

11. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

yeah acrylic is most definately easier to drill if you are into that. for me it is glass all the way baby!!! glass rectangles rule.

12. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

wow, I see no acrylic people so far. It would be funny if all 3reef are glass aquariasts.