Reef Angel: Open-Source Controller

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, May 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nealio

Nealio Coral Banded Shrimp

I'm not sure if you missed this post, but I'm dying to know the answer.

2. Click Here!

3. reefangel

reefangel 3reef Sponsor

Hi Nealio,

I'm sorry... I meant to, but in the middle of the way I forgot to answer.
    Anyway, I'm not pursuing the salinity monitoring at this moment.
    I couldn't find any suitable probe for the budget I intended.
    I have never developed the hardware for that. I stopped any research before that.
    I yet have to test the ORP and salinity probe with the circuit I have, since calibration is done by software. I've read somewhere that ORP probes are high impedance type of probe just as a pH probe is. I wonder what would happen... Food for thought and R&D later :)

Roberto.

4. Nealio

Nealio Coral Banded Shrimp

Thanks Roberto. I was reading that if there was interest in Salinity, that you may later develop the hardware to monitor it. Would this be an add on module, or would it be in the form of a new controller? I run a nano, and have major salinity swings associated with evaporation, so I'd love to be able to live monitor that in the end.

5. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

Ok, Im semi confused by controllers. Maybe someone can help me out because I hate timers and need a way to start a fan if the temp gets around 80. Can you plug in the ph probe, temp probe, and two auto top off sensors, and then you still have 8 electrical outlets for lights, heaters, fan etc. Or do they subtract from the 8?

6. ChrisBs

ChrisBs Purple Spiny Lobster

ive got a red sea max 250 would it be worth it

7. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

It is the PH, temp, ATO, + 8 outlets. The PH, temp, and ATO connect at the base unit. Each outlet is independently controlled.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

10. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I have a RSM250 too. It's worth it if you want to control a bunch of other devices, like dosers and an ATO. If you just leave the setup the way it is, and don't upgrade the equipment, then no, you really don't need it.

11. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

I've got another question...is it possible that one input can control two outputs on this model? Could the temp probe control a fan and lights, just incase? (im getting an ac unit in my room and just want to be on the safe side before it gets installed) for example (i know this isnt the right code but you'll get the idea) If temp> 80, fan = on, and main lights = off. Or would it not work because lights would already be assigned to be on and off at certain times.

12. ChrisBs

ChrisBs Purple Spiny Lobster

so will this control n e kind of dosing unit ?? im a little confused