Reef Angel: Open-Source Controller

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, May 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. samsdb0

samsdb0 Bristle Worm

this is freaking amazing. do want.

2. Click Here!

3. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

ReefAngel,

First off, I will say that you have made a very good product here. It has definitely reinforced my ideas that I had for my own project.

I am going to go ahead and build a Sanguino to do basically the same thing, except have the extended outlet options.

Would you mind if I used some of your coding to write my own? This would same me a ton and a half of work.

4. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

You say GUI, I say HMI., And someone else says MMI. ;)

5. reefangel

reefangel 3reef Sponsor

I actually would love if you could use it. Afterall, that's what the core of open source is: sharing knowledge.
    Please keep me updated though. I'd like to know mods and anything you can share :)

Roberto.

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Well, GUIs are a subset of HMIs, which are a subset of MMIs, so we'd be talking about slightly different things when you watn to get technical. ;D

(For anyone wondering why I say HMI is a subset of MMI: Who says a biological machine isn't a machine?)

7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Technically, no, GUI's are not any different from MMI's or HMI's.

I've bought these for a living and work directly with Rockwell Automation/ Allen Bradley, along with other companies like Siemens.

To get back to the real topic, are these Reef Angels ethernet capable?

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

Er, subset....a HMI doesn't need anything other than a keyboard, while a GUI requires more than a keyboard.

On the MMI part you're right, I thought machine-machine interface lol.

10. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

GUI's and MMI's along with HMI's can be made several ways. Touch screens have no keypads unless you hook up a laptop to them, or connect to them via remote computer.

None of these terms are specific about keyboard or touch screen, or any other method of input. That's why all these terms are interchangeable.

11. blackraven1425

Except for the GUI. The GUI requires some interaction other than a keyboard, like a mouse or touchscreen. The HMI doesn't; I can have a data entry program that's keyboard-only, in a text console, and it's not a GUI, but is an HMI.

12. reefangel

reefangel 3reef Sponsor

Hey Horkn,

Not yet, but take a look at this: YouTube - Reef Angel Controller - Wifi Prototype
    So, it is just a matter of some time for me to get boards developed and manufactured and I should have something out.
    My library is probably going to serve something like this:
    http://www.reefangel.com/wifi/

Roberto.