Reef Angel: Open-Source Controller

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, May 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

A joystick should be an input, not an output. The same goes for an ATO and the probes. The LCD would be an output, as would each of the 8 plugs; that's 9 right there. 3 temperature, 2 ATOs, the joystick and a pH input brings it up to 7 inputs and 9 outputs; 16 IOs total.

2. Click Here!

3. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I realize that, I am just very tired right now. These boards use the same pins for input and output. A very finite number. It is up to the programmer how to use the pins, either In or Out.

4. blackraven1425

Ah, very likely not expandable without extensive reprogramming, then. You'd need to use the pins to send more than just the "on" and "off" it's likely programmed for. You'd need a full set of data to go over them to another piece of electronics designed to decode it. Like, send 8 bits of info, one for each plug on the strip, but only use 1 pin for it.

5. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

this sounds perfect for me with just the demo program. it has all i would need. will it run out of the box with this program?

6. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

....so long as you DO NOT EAT THE PASTE!

:D

7. reefangel

reefangel 3reef Sponsor

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to introduce myself first.
    My name is Roberto Imai and I'm the guy behind the Reef Angel Controller. :)
    I'm very happy to see so many people interested and excited about the potential this controller can offer. I sure am.
    After reading the posts, I'd like to answer some of them.
    1. At this time, the controller can control 8 sockets and it is not expandable. This is something that is in my plate, but will not come until the next model. But, I just would like to point out that the head unit + relay box cost $150, which someone might think.. "Oh Geez... Why not another whole controller kit instead of just an expansion?" Food for thought.
    2. I have worked hard on building an extensive library code, so you don't have to understand what lies behind the scene.
    The best way to explain myself is to show how easy it would be to program it.
    Let's say you have your actinic lights on socket #4 and you want it to turn on at 3pm and off at 9:30pm. Here is the code:
    ReefAngel.StandardLights(4,15,0,21,30);
    That's it.
    Note: Time is in military time.
    The controller will handle the rest.
    Now, another example. Let's say you would like to monitor water temperature and turn your lights off in case of water temperature is getting to high. Your water lights are plugged on socket 5 and you would like to turn off your lights when the temperarure reaches 83.0F. Here is the code:
    if (ReefAngel.Params.T1>830) ReefAngel.Relay.Off(5);
    Isn't it simple?
    Anyone can do that :)
    3. This controller is based on the Arduino prototyping platform, which means you can use any and all of the very vast resource that many programmers have already coded.
    It makes it simple for the end-user to load their codes into the controller.
    4. I DO NOT charge any fees or anything for support. If you got a question, I'm more than happy to help. Request away. Due to time availability, some requests take longer than others, but I'll always try my best to help you out.
    5. The demo program that comes preloaded, runs out-of-the-box.

I hope to have answered some of your questions, but should you have any other, please feel free to ask me anything.

Sincerely,
    Roberto Imai.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

Hrm. This thing needs a GUI......I'll work on it once I get my unit.

10. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

That's awesome. :) This works with any/all equipment, no matter the brand? What cables/wires do I need to go: Reef Angel ---> code signal ---> equipment. ?

11. blackraven1425

It's more like you get a set of 8 regular electrical outlets, and can control them on/off. You get inputs from float valves, temperature sensors, and pH probes, and can control the outlets based on that input.

12. Nealio

Nealio Coral Banded Shrimp

Thanks for the answers and taking your time to come over to the forum to answer our questions.

I was reading your development log and you originally planned to monitor salinity, and have already written the code for calibrating a probe. Later in development though, you seemed to have given up on using them though. Will you develop a salinity module for the current generation Reef Angel? That's the only thing really holding me back from picking one of these up.