Reef Angel: Open-Source Controller

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, May 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I've always been a bit jaded about extra hardware on my tank as they have to plug in somewhere, but I would install a whole new GFCI in the wall just to plug in the Reef Angel controller. Roberto from Reef Angel had me sold with 'open-source.' Not only will the Reef Angel handle your ATO, lights, wavemaker and monitor pH and temp out of the box.... you can download cool code that will delay your halide after a power outage and turn your heater on and off at certain temperatures and much more for FREE! Following the Google Group emails this week has been an eye opener. A serious score for $200, available now. More below.

[​IMG]
    Reef Angel: Open-Source Controller

Reef Angel is the first controller kit to offer the reefing hobbyist full control of hardware and software to accommodate all their reefing needs.
    At your fingertips is the ability to create the most sophisticated controller you will ever need. With a very simple to use interface and easy to learn programming language, Reef Angel will give you endless possibilities.
    Reef Angel was built in the same open-source electronics prototyping platform as the world famous Arduino. What does it mean? It means you can rest assured that your reef controller is working on the most stable platform on the market. Programmers from all over the world have spent countless hours perfecting the coding on this platform.
    Not familiar with the programming world? Just looking for an all-in-one and out-of-the-box solution for your reef system? Not a problem. Reef Angel Controller comes with its own built-in demo software that will leave you with your mouth open as it's taking care of your reef system. More details? Click here.
    Don't waste another minute and order it now!
    For a limited time only, Reef Angel is being offered at a very reduced price, but you have to give me your comments on what you think about the controller and what would make the Reef Angel Controller better.
    Still have questions? Please send me an email to [email protected]

04/11/2010
    Custom library was consolidated and called ReefAngel. It is available for download at the download page.
    It is now much easier to reference to the various peripherals of the controller as they all have been converted to classes.
    Below is the list of functions available for this first release. I'll work on getting a wiki of the whole list with detailed description and examples for each function. If there is function you would like added to the library, please send me an email to [email protected]
    Joystick functions:
    bool ReefAngel.Joystick.IsButtonPressed();
    bool ReefAngel.Joystick.IsUp();
    bool ReefAngel.Joystick.IsDown();
    bool ReefAngel.Joystick.IsRight();
    bool ReefAngel.Joystick.IsLeft();
    Status LED functions:
    void ReefAngel.LED.On();
    void ReefAngel.LED.Off();
    ATO functions:
    bool ReefAngel.ATO.IsLowActive();
    bool ReefAngel.ATO.IsHighActive();
    Memory functions:
    byte ReefAngel.Memory.Read(unsigned int address);
    void ReefAngel.Memory.Write(unsigned int address, byte data);
    Relay functions:
    void ReefAngel.Relay.On(byte ID);
    void ReefAngel.Relay.Off(byte ID);
    void ReefAngel.Relay.AllOn();
    void ReefAngel.Relay.AllOff();
    PWM functions:
    void ReefAngel.PWM.SetActinic(byte value);
    void ReefAngel.PWM.SetDaylight(byte value);
    ReefAngel Global functions and variables:
    Params.Temp1
    Params.Temp2
    Params.Temp3
    Params.PH
    void ReefAngel.Init();
    void ReefAngel.Refresh();
    void ReefAngel.SetTemperatureUnit(byte unit);

Web site:
    Reef Angel Controller Kit

2. Click Here!

3. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

holy crap you really get:

Reef Angel Controller Kit + Extras - US$199
    - Reef Angel Controller Kit (Main Controller + Relay Box + HDDB15 Communication Cable)
    - PH Probe
    - 3x Assembled Waterproof Temperature Sensor
    - 2x Float Valve
    - Power Cord
    - TTL level serial converter cable

all that for 200 bucks? that is just awesome. i was gonna buy a new ph probe for my aqua jr. but for 50 bucks id rather just spend 200 and get a new system like this, im so pumped

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

The reason you get all of that for 200 bucks is that open source projects typically aren't making a profit, and if they are, it isn't anywhere near the same margins as a corporation (30+%). If the hardware is open source as well, they can only make a profit by selling support for the device; this is what Red Hat, Mandriva, and others that put out their own linux distributions for enterprises and then charge money do; sell services and their own software that runs on the open source platform.

This thing is badass, and I'll get one at some point lol.

6. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

Ohhhhh would you be so kind to start a "review thread" and share your first hand experiences with it?

I for one am VERY interested but have some "end-user" questions for you - hearing your personal pros and cons would be very valuable here. (definitely to me!)

Regards,
    elizabeth

7. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

I don't want to sound like an idiot but what about people "like me" who can barely copy and paste much less program "code" whatever that is into a controller. It sounds like a headache, could someone explain it in laymens terms? Please :)

8. Click Here!

9. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

c'mon over and sit by me in the lecture hall....!!! then you won't feel alone in not knowing :)

1 person likes this.
  10. crappyballer

basically anyone who can program code for this can without need of a license from the mfg. similar to google's android cell phone platform in comparison to the iphone, anyone can make applications for droid where as iphone apps must be licensed through apple directly. all this means is we will get a larger variety of programs for it being that anyone can create new programs for free.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  11. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I don't see any reference to additional power centers. Is this system expandable? or just the 8 outlets max?

Just my lights would max out 8 outlets.

12. crappyballer

you would have to assume you can chain the relay boxes if it says it can handle like a million processes

-edit after looking at the manual the relay boxes do not look chainable unless there is some sort of hub u can get for the serial port.