Reef Angel Controller arrived today 2-9-11!!!!!

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by 2in10, Jan 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I am looking at getting a controller and eliminating the use of timers for my lights. I like the fact that some can be used as a wavemaker, ATO monitor, and dosing pump monitor.

I would like to get input from those that have them and how they use them. Also why your current configuration if you have a separate wavemaker, dosing controller, etc.

Also recommendations and why.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Dang I want a lot today.;D

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Pro: Everything about them - really!

Con: Cost, time to set up. Nothing technical, as it turns out, is a con about controllers, except possibly the learning curve.

I just got a RKL about 2 weeks ago, and I like it. Took a bit to set up, but no more stupid cheapo timers to go wrong. Easier to spread out dosing for alkalinity than it was with a normal timer. I get a text message and an email if my temp goes below normal levels or my cabinet floor gets wet, I can see a graph of my pH over time, and oh man, no more cheapo timers from HD or Lowes! $20 each for 4 timers with one failure every month is horrible and adds up, and is seriously the main reason I got a controller in the first place - but I'm loving the other features.

1 person likes this.
  4. cbs3315

cbs3315 Ritteri Anemone

i have a rkl. i use it to control my lights, skimmer, heater and as a wavemaker. i really like it for the price but it still gets expensive because of all the modules you can buy to do different things. i got mine for $99 but i believe they are now going for around $115. it makes it nice not to have a bunch of timers and stuff plugged into every outlet around lol. not sure about other brands out there but i have heard that the reef angel is really good as well. im getting ready to get another module that reads the ph.

1 person likes this.
  5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Those are some of the reasons for the posts. I'm knocking on wood about the timers going out. So far the only problems are from power outages.

Thanks

6. blackraven1425

I've had 4 just die in the last 6 months. Two were within 2 weeks of installing them. Those were both made by Unisomething, carried by Lowes. One of the others was also the Unisomething brand, the other was a GE timer from HD. All were supposed to be heavy duty (as in, not the cheapest ones). Three were on my alk pump, one was on the fuge light (I think).

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I have been looking at RKE and RKL units, and would go with the plus level units to start if I get one. I just wish I could get a SL2 module in place of the SL1 module.

8. Click Here!

9. cbs3315

cbs3315 Ritteri Anemone

yeah im going with the sl2. not sure about other controllers but thats whats great about the rkl and rke you can always add to it when you want. i am looking to add another pc-4 as well. aquacave carries them plus you get the discount since they are a 3reef sponsor. not sure if you can get them cheaper else where.

10. blackraven1425

That would have been nice, but just so you know, the SL2 module doesn't come with a salinity probe. You have to buy it separately, and it's kinda pricey at 90 bucks (on top of the 80 for the module). They had issues with the first batch of probes too, so they're still working on getting a new manufacturer for a new design, and they aren't available.

Once they are, they might need calibration fairly often, and need to be in a different spot than most other probes, since they do best with lots of water flowing over them.

11. cbs3315

cbs3315 Ritteri Anemone

i forgot about that. i remember them talking about that. weren't they gonna give discounts for the new ones to the people who bought the ones from the first batch?

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I saw the prices, think that changed my mind. Thanks