Redsea reef base substrate

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by nanomania, May 2, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Im plannung on redsea reef base, confused as in which to buy and howmuch. They have live and dry substrate, ocean white and pink. Ocean white is very fine (0.25mm to 1mm) and pink (0.5mm to 1.5mm)

Which would be better? Also i want 1.5" layer for my 54x24x24. How do i calculate? Is there any calculator for it? i cud only find carbsea sand and normal sand calculators.

2. Click Here!

3. REEFerMADNESS88

REEFerMADNESS88 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

marine depot has a sand depth calculator in their substrate section. I always go with live sand to cut down on cycle time, as for grain size just keep in mind while finer sand looks really nice the slightly larger grains are easier to clean. if you are going only 1.5 inch i would say go the larger pink. Fine sand is good for a deep sand bed (4-5") as it harbors more anaerobic bacteria(for removing nitrate). so it all kinda depends

Armydog likes this.
  4. REEFerMADNESS88

REEFerMADNESS88 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

marine depot has a sand depth calculator in their substrate section. I always go with live sand to cut down on cycle time, as for grain size just keep in mind while finer sand looks really nice the slightly larger grains are easier to clean. if you are going only 1.5 inch i would say go the larger pink. Fine sand is good for a deep sand bed (4-5") as it harbors more anaerobic bacteria(for removing nitrate). so it all kinda depends

nanomania likes this.
  5. Armydog

Armydog Astrea Snail

I used the calculator on marinedepot.com and it was spot on

6. nanomania

7. Armydog

Armydog Astrea Snail

I selected fine when I did mine

8. Click Here!

9. nanomania

Shows 100lb
    Ill be going with pink, i guess they sell 10kg bags, so ill buy 5. Also whats better live or normal? Wudnt live be all wet and qty might be less too.

10. Armydog

Armydog Astrea Snail

If you have someone in your area thats willing to give you a cup or 2 of their sand then you can go ahead and get dry sand otherwise imo I'd get live sand.

Not 100% sure if there is less or not but I have always gotten live sand for my new setups then added a bacteria to the water to help speed up the cycle

11. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Why are you changing out your sand bed?

12. nanomania

Not chaging, im going for a new tank, so will need new