reddish leeches on my soft coral

Discussion in 'Coral Diseases' started by Lilou, Jul 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lilou

Lilou Astrea Snail

For several months now this population of reddish coralline algae like things are growing on two of my soft corals. All this time, until this evening I thought it was some kind of algae. They eat... they actually slim around for food. They have this little black spot in the center. What are they? Now I want to get rid of them... eeyoo! Disgusting.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Without a picture, it's impossible to say for sure but I'm thinking that you have red planaria (aka flatworms). If you do, get yourself some Flatworm Exit.

4. Lilou

Lilou Astrea Snail

Here is my attempt at capturing a close of it this stuff. The soft coral moves and it is very difficult to get a clear picture. I also had to reduce resolution a lot to be within the file size.

Attached Files:

5. Lilou

Lilou Astrea Snail

I think this pic should be a bit better.;)

Attached Files:

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Flatworms...

get a sixline or 12line wrasse!

Flatworm exit good short term fix...!

[​IMG]

(Long term fix, along with bristle worm, nusiance snail, etc. control)

Get you one...

7. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

A wrasse or any other natural predator is not always 100% guaranteed to eat them, they just might eat them. However, Salifert Flatworm eXit will work, follow directions exactly, and by the looks of it you've got a lot of them. Start sucking them up with a turkey baster to get as many out as you can see.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I am in the same fix and your best bet is to get the Flatworm Exit, although there are fish that eat flatworm's it could take ages for him to rid your tank of them. For every one you see on the glass count a thousand in your substrate. Get a vacuum take out all you can with it and also get a baster and suck up all you can then dose the tank and Follow the direction's closely a water change is a must. good luck with your new adventure. Flatworm Exit is the answer....
    Danny

10. coldshot

I should have read this instead of pete and repete

11. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

You need a Halichoeres wrasse, the lined wrasses aren't as effective.
    If its possible I would do fresh water dips on all the effected pieces and shake the rock until they fall off. This also works on parasitic nudibranchs.

Cut down on the nutrients in the tank and that will help.

Good luck!

12. coldshot

A Halichoeres wrasse will need to be feed several times a day, if you do not want to have to baby set a fish I wouldnt bother with him and your pretty far gone so the flatworm exit is your best option....good luck
    Danny