Red Veins - Yellow Tang

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Aljb2005, Mar 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Aljb2005

Aljb2005 Astrea Snail

My Yellow Tang has stopped eating and after close examination it looks like there are red veins appearing around his mouth and on his body. I think its some kind of internal bacteria.

Anyone ever have this or know of some good medication ?

I checked all my parameters they are good

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

Opportunistic bacteria will readily reproduced in this food rich environment. As the numbers of bacteria in the water multiply, so does the likelihood of microbial infection. Be on the alert for red or pinkish streaks and faded colors that can indicate a bacterial infection (most often vibriosis).

found this quote online. i think you want to use a antibiotic. personaly i would buy it today, it sounds like this kills pretty fast.

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Typically the red/orange discoloration and the veins showing are evidence of ammonia burns IME. What exactly are your parameters?

Here is a form from the ASAP forum. Fill as much of this out, and we will be able to help you much better:

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

if you have a qt i would do it in there, the antibiotic will destroy your bacteria and probably cause parameter spike.

6. Aljb2005

Aljb2005 Astrea Snail

Thanks for the info - ammonia is not high, but I can double check. I can post more specific parameters a bit later (at work now). I think I'm going to stop by the LFS and pic up an antibiotic.

Any brand recommendations?

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Well, what do you mean by "not high"? Is it present at all? It should be 0, and only 0. Anything else can/will be fatal

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I don't know if it will help, but I do Melafix flake food dips (dip the food and feed the fish) and it doesn't affect the tank bacterial flora. Never had a problem with any fish I have chosen to treat this way. I haven't tried to cure this particular disease state, but it does fin rot really nicely. Also, you may want to dip your food in garlic to enhance the fishy's immune system. That could only help.

I would honestly use the search engine here. If it doesn't bring anything up, use google and it will search the other fish forums plus any independent articles out there. Just choose your words wisely to get a good list of hits.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Sounds like red pest disease as a rule blood streaks on the body and fins thats 90% of the time the problem if its in the fins or at the base of the fins and in the fins it could be fin rot.. May want to look up the red pest disease..