Red Tiger Lotus bulb arriving today!!!

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by Lady J, Sep 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

As the title says, my red tiger lotus is arriving today as a bulb. How do I plant it? I've read that a good way to start is put it in a container with aquarium water and just let that float in the aquarium. I prefer advice from people here so please advise.

Also, I finally started adding my dry fertilizers from Green Leaf. Should I still put fertilizer tablets in the sand?

TIA

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Congrats on the pending arrival. If there is no root and plant growth on the bulb then the container thing will do. If you have growth then plant in the substrate so only the leaves are exposed.

You should not need to add fertilizer tabs to the substrate except for possibly underneath plants with bulbs.

4. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Alrighty then! Woo hoo :D

As you can tell I'm very excited. Got over my grumpiness regarding my tank and am excited again to try and make it prettier than it already is. I measured my tank and divided it by thirds and then tried to find the 1.67 point. The lotus will be the center piece and will be placed there, in front of driftwood, anubias (midground) and then wisteria (background). We'll see how it goes. LOL I also ordered another anubias nana simply because I think they have clean lines and are pretty due to their simplicity. The final plant arriving is Hydrotriche hottoniiflora and I am excited to see how that looks as a background plant.

I hope I don't have too many different species of plants in my tank but I'm not going to worry about it. If it looks like it's jammed with too many different kinds of plants I might take the wisteria to Petco--not sure yet.

Hey John, once again thank you for you help! :)