red slime remover

Discussion in 'Algae' started by hitman35, Apr 21, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hitman35

hitman35 Purple Spiny Lobster

does anyone know much about chemiclean about how long does it take to start seeing results from this and about how long should I go without skimming after treating?

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Its a good safe product But you need to find the cause of the problem first But follow the label directions and that requires you to cut off skimmers and remove all mechanical filtration ie. Carbon or polymers and such during treatment. Also low water flow and areas suffering from low 0'2 are the main areas and causes of the problem and thats where the waste stuff tends to settle out in to feed the bacteria might want to look and then add more water being flowed to the areas that have the problem. Cyano's do not like oxygen.. Thats why they build that slim red tent to live in..

4. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

Like Tangster said you should find out the root of the problem because if not the cyano will come back eventually.

Before treating your tank you should remove (by siphoning) as much of the red slime as possible.

If I were to do it all over again I would dose half the suggested quantity of the red slime remover and take it from there.

Just my two cents worth :)

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

To tell the truth Snake i have never had a case of it that i could not get rid of with waterflow alone, we had a small patch in this ne wtnk a few monts ago in less then 3 days it was totaly gone from just repointing a internal circulation ell to that area. Most times its caused by overfeeding frozen and meaty stuff ..

6. hitman35

hitman35 Purple Spiny Lobster

thanks a lot guys upon completion of my treatment I will definatley get more movemoent goingon and as far as the over feeding goes I dont think thats a prob in my tank

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Hit Mn get the flows now and the treatment will have more effect.. The oxygen can penetrate the cocoon covering better and then the bacteria will die faster.. Its like Hydrogen Peroxide for Cyano LOL

8. Click Here!

9. trent51593

trent51593 Coral Banded Shrimp

I have just used this product and the next day it was all gone. I did stop skimming for 24 hours after dosing. But beware when you turn your skimmer back on it will foam a lot so keep an eye on it.

10. mr_X

mr_X Plankton

sorry to disagree with most of you, but the red slime remover i know of is actually erythromycin, an antibiotic. i don't suggest anyone uses something like this.

early on, i tried it and it did visibly remove the cyano, but i had alot of small problems here and there afterwards. come to find out that i was going through a mini cycle, since the antibiotic, not only killed off the cyanobacteria, it also killed off some of the necessary bacteria, i worked so hard to cultivate.

i do agree, that it is caused by excess nutrients, and i agree that removing those nutrients is the way to remove it, 100% safely.

i'd like to end this post with the suggestion not to add anything to the tank that isn't absolutely crucial for the tanks survival.
    what a delicate ecosystem we are in control of...we could be like a mini exxon valdese to our little oceans if we are not careful! ;-)