Red Slime algae starting

Discussion in 'Algae' started by JohnSt22, Jul 6, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JohnSt22

JohnSt22 Plankton

I have just recently noticed red slime algae starting to spread. I have been picking it out of the tank carefully but it keeps coming back. Does anyone have an idea why i would get red slime algae?

I have a few ideas but i am not sure. I have only had my 20 gallon reef going for 3 to 4 months now and i just recently jumped from 8 to 12 hours of light to accomodate for the new corals i have just introduced. All my corals were introduced within the last month. I also have trouble keeping the tank at a consistent temperature. It fluctuates from 78 to 82 degrees.

2. Click Here!

3. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

Do a bigger search on the site. This has been covered very often. It may also be a type of spreading flat worm.
    I forget the specific name but there are a few things that can help.
    There is a product that is a powder form that works very well.
    Makes the skimmer go crazy though so unplug it.
    I had it for a few months as well and it was completely fed by a shot glass or sink water i used to break up frozen food.
    Using RODI water only will make a huge difference combating this issue.

4. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Red Slime algae is not actually an algae it is actually a bacteria called Cyanobacteria, There is a lot of info on the net. and also I am sure you will find a lot here on 3Reef in the Forum Menu under Algae. here is one link that you may find interesting.

http://netclub.athiel.com/cyano/cyanos2.htm

1 person likes this.
  5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Red slime is perfectly normal in a new tank. Keep doing what you've been doing and run carbon if you're not already running it. It will run its course and be gone in a few months time if you keep your water parameters in check.

As for your temperature, are you doing anything to keep the tank cool at the moment? Do you run the a/c during the summer months? Have a fan blowing on the tank?

6. JohnSt22

JohnSt22 Plankton

I do have the ac on but no fan. I have the lights on for 12 hours a day so by about 7:00 p.m. the tank is running at about 80 - 82 degrees and during the night, morning, and early afternoon it ranges from 78 - 80 degrees.

7. JohnSt22

JohnSt22 Plankton

I actually bought red slime remover which does work very well but the bottle kind of scared me because it said it may effect PH. Should i do a small water change after the treatment to restore the PH to the desired level?

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Besides running the a/c all day during the summer, I change the light cycle of my tank so that the lights come on only after the sun has gone down. I also have a fan in my hood that runs 24/7. This helps but without the a/c running, I'd have huge problems with heat regardless.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If your tank is only a few months old, doing a water change now would be detrimental to completing the cycle. Just let the cyano run its course.

1 person likes this.
  11. JohnSt22

JohnSt22 Plankton

Will do, thanks for the help