red slim algae problem

Discussion in 'Algae' started by 1fishyguy, Jan 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1fishyguy

1fishyguy Purple Spiny Lobster

What kind of filter media are you running? Did you make sure to rinse it off?? How long has tank been running since you added sand

2. Click Here!

3. Swmmr52

Swmmr52 Plankton

Right now its just the activated carbon, yes rinsed both of the filters off before using them, and the tank has was step up Dec 16th. Once i figure out how ill put up some pictures.

4. Swmmr52

Swmmr52 Plankton

5. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Don't do a water change on the 55 gallon if it is still cycling. That will slow down your cycle. When I am home on the weekends, I feed my fish 2 times a day. I only feed them what they can eat as well though and I have a great CuC. I run RowaPhos and purigen along with GAC. This really helps with my tank.

I don't suggest just letting cyano growing in your tank. It has grown over some of corals before, and we all know that isn't good. If it growing in your tank, then there is something wrong IMO.

Here are some threads you can look at as well:

http://www.3reef.com/forums/algae/thank-you-dowtish-cyano-help-127261.html

http://www.3reef.com/forums/algae/can-someone-id-updated-112538-2.html (Page 2 on the bottom is where it starts talking about my cyano problem)

I have used Boyd Chemiclean Red Slime Cyano Bacteria Remover with great success and I had no side effects from it either. The stuff is great, but I never recommend using another chemical to help with issues in the tank lol. Also, the manufactures never answered my question about their product, which worries me just a little.

6. yvr

yvr Skunk Shrimp

Algae problems are usually caused by aquarium water with excess nutrients like phosphate, nitrates etc. You can try and siphon out what you can to remove the algae in the short term. In the long term you may have to examine how you care for your tank. There are some commercial dry foods also contain excess nutrients and other undesirable things like nitrates, phosphates etc so I strain/rinse my fresh/frozen foods before feeding my tank. You may want to consider feeding your fish less often. Also using RO/DI water and a high quality salt with little if any NO3, phosphates etc like Tropic Marin will really help too. Adding a phosphate remover, looking at your lighting (intensity and duration) and increasing flow in your tank may help too.