red slim algae problem

Discussion in 'Algae' started by 1fishyguy, Jan 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

temp doesnt matter! flow and nutrients does! add some microbe lift or something and read man! research! research research! use the search tool!

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

BTW rpratt that was me agreeing!

4. Rpratt

Rpratt Astrea Snail

Lol Ty for clearing that up. Was a little confused on why I was quoted. Lol

5. 1fishyguy

1fishyguy Purple Spiny Lobster

I have cut back lighting and feeding within the last week and already notice a big difference. Thanks for the input guys.

6. Swmmr52

Swmmr52 Plankton

Did you finally get everything all cleared up? I've turned my tank down a couple degrees, its at 1.023 salinity, went down to feeding the foxface rabbit fish and the neon damsel twice per day and the porcupine puffer every two days. The emerald green, hermit crabs, and turbo snails just feed off of whats left and are generally really good about keeping it clean. But just recently i've noticed an increase in algea on my rock. The only time I saw it almost completely cleared out is when we moved the tank from one home to my current house. Any suggestions?

7. 1fishyguy

1fishyguy Purple Spiny Lobster

You feed them twice a day?!?!? I do every other day.. twice a day is way to much IMO. Its still in my tank but clearing up slowly its not getting any worse. I just switched to pellets for a bit and cut my lighting back a few hours.

8. Click Here!

9. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Once every other day is a little extreme. I tried that I noticed the fish acting very sluggish. Try cutting your feed amount in half and feeding every day. It does the same as far as amount fed, but gives your fish a belly full each sunrise. And keeps your other inhabitants happy.

10. Swmmr52

Swmmr52 Plankton

I'll try cutting the feeding down to once a day, i'm also going to do a water change tonight on both my 30 and my 55, the 55 is cycling now, it was a christmas present from my girlfriend, right now i am having a white clouding problem, noticed right from the start after filling the tank up, it finally has seattled(sp) out, but in doing so i had to stop the filter. And other ideas on what the clouding might be from?

11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

If turning off the filter helped it to settle, then you're cloudiness is most likely from disturbing the sand. If your return is adjustable, aim it more toward the water surface.

12. Swmmr52

Swmmr52 Plankton

It's a hang on the back filter for now, the intake is adjustable, not the return, and even with the filter off it is still kind of cloudy