Red Sea Salt mix reviews

Discussion in 'Salt' started by nanomania, Jun 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

i have mostly softies with an acro and favia, my system is about a year and a half old and i do a 50% WC about once a month, sometimes less twice a month. in the past every other week i would supplement mag, cal, stro., trace elements as guided by the product (aquarium systems.....Aquarium Systems // We creat your best solutions) but im actually starting to reconsider this or at least cutting down to what i can keep an eye on. i have seen my favia retract after a recent water change but im not sure its a question of water chemistry or light intensity (i had to move her as an anemone decided to settle right next to it)

2. Click Here!

3. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

4. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

I only use Red Sea Coral Pro salt. I grow almost all SPS though and it has done very well for me. It does precipitate in my 55 gallon mixing drums but I only ran into that problem after aerating it. Im not sure if that has anything to do with it but that is when I noticed it. Its not really necessary to have such high alkalinity levels in a tank with softies. But it is a high quality salt that has tested the same for me batch after batch. If you can get it for the right price I would say go for it.

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Aeration will decrease the pH, as it introduces CO2. The pH of RSCP immediately, when mixed, IIRC was around 8.6 and my tank runs around 8.1-8.2, so 8.6 would be way to high. Also, it's really tough to keep calcium and alkalinity (and other elements) in solution at that ph. A lot of people do report precipitation and cloudiness. It is a good salt though, but as I said wouldn't have any benefit in a soft coral tank.

6. nanomania

Kool.... so do u just rely on WCs and no supplements or you do add supplements? whats and howmuch is your WC schedule?

7. nanomania

well i bought the normal red sea salt thats why. it mixes pertty well. will be making many vids and pics on my new setup and start a new thread.... i use to use cheap red coral salt and its alk use to be high and also use to leave loads of flakes on the sides of the container in which i use to mix it for WC.

8. Click Here!

9. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

I use an auto doser to dose over 100ml of alk and calcium buffer a day. I also use a kalk reactor. But you would have no need to dose anything in a softy tank. I do a 40 gallon water change once to twice a month depending on my schedule. Right now the system is at around 180 gallons. When I expand it to 300 gallons Ill be doing 75 gallon water changes with the same frequency. Well thats in theory atleast.

10. nanomania

ok. 300g will be great. can u upload your current tank pic?

11. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

12. nanomania

Iv see your thread......... its kool. thanks