Red Planet advise please

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by vankirk, Jul 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vankirk

vankirk Sea Dragon

I got this frag about 90 days ago. I was told it was a red planet.

When I first got it, it was a thick redish color. It has fully encrusted the plug but, it has slowly turned pinkish showing more of its light green base.

How can I return it to its beautiful thick red coloration.

The first picture is from 90 days ago.
    The second 2 are from late april.
    The last 2 are today.

Any help is appreciated. TY

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

Hmm, mine did and is doing the same thing, I cant figure if its enough light or too much light. Im going to keep an eye on this thread maybe it will help with mine. Mine went from a nice red to solid white and it is now white with bright pink tips. Its actually pretty cool but I know thats not what it looked like when I got it. Growth has been pretty good also.

4. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

Hhmm, I'm no expert but that coral appears to be bleaching. What are the specs? Params and lighting? My red planet went from dark red to red with a green base under lower light. Never bleached like yours tho. Now that.my light is operational again the RP is thick full red.

5. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

The less light they receive, the more green you will see, and typically when it is encrusting, the base is usually green and the new branches are pinkish and then turn the deep red. The deep red comes from more light. But if it is pale or white, it is either starving or bleaching from too much light.

Also, if you are not getting the right colors, that can be a whole lot of other things like phosphates, and whether your parameters are not only at the right numbers, but are they stable as well.

6. vankirk

vankirk Sea Dragon

Hopefully we can both figure this out. lol
    What lighting are you using, and what height is the light from the water, and coral to water surface? thanks

7. vankirk

vankirk Sea Dragon

TY for your input. Your'e right I shouldv'e posted specs. Give me a minute to do that.

8. Click Here!

9. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Dowtish got it here. Same exact thing happened to mine. Moved my frags of it into more intense light and dropped my phosphates and they have been coloring back up.

10. vankirk

vankirk Sea Dragon

Lighting is 6 36" T-5 bulbs. They are 5 months old. 6- ATI blue plus, 1-FIJI purple 1- GE 6500k

The fixture is 8 1/2" above the water, the frag is 6" below water line near center.

salinity is 1.0255
    ammonia, nitrite, nitrate all 0 per API
    phosphate 0.0 per Hanna digital checker
    alk 9.5 Dkh per Hanna digital checker
    calcium 455 per salifert
    mag 1425 per salifert

If more info needed please let me know thank you.

11. vankirk

vankirk Sea Dragon

That you Dowtish. Hmmm... I don't know if it's bleaching or starving of light either?
    I just posted some tank and light specs, does that help diagnose?
    Maybe I should wait longer and see if it rebounds?

12. tst400

tst400 Astrea Snail

im not sure it would be too much light. i keep mine under 250 phoenix 14 k and medium high flow and iy is dark red with a bright green base.. also has long polyp extension.. what kind of flow is it in